cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Aliasing (crawling detail) on 1080p Boost Movies

Hi there

I've got Sky Cinema and Boost, and lots of films are showing up as HD and 5.1. I'm seeing odd crawling artefacts on fine detail, particularly rolling end credits though, similar to what I'd expect if they were 720p upscaled to 1080p. Captain Marvel is an example of this I keep going back to

I'm seeing this both on a Roku Express connected to a 1080p Pioneer Plasma, and a Roku Streaming Stick+ connected to a 1080p LG LCD. Both are reporting that they're getting 1080p streams from the Rokus, and both are in "Dot-for-dot"/"Just scan" mode. When the same devices play 1080p movies from Netflix or Google Movies, there's no sign of the crawl.

So either:

1 - I'm paying for 1080p but the service isn't working for some reason

2 - What Now TV is calling 1080p is actually an upscale of a lower resolution

3 - The source is actually higher than 1080p, and it's being very badly downscaled

4 - The compression of the stream is just really bad

Could other Boost users see if they're getting the same thing? For direct comparison, compare the end crawling credits of Captain Marvel on Now TV with The Revenant on Netflix. Look particularly a E's. On Netflix, they're nice and stable but on NowTV, the thicknesses of lines and gaps seems to vary

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've tried to grab an example by photographing the end credits of Avengers Endgame on Now TV w Boost, vs Google Play. Even on a still frame, Google Play is noticeably sharper, and NowTV definitely shows scaling artefacts. Look at the top of the S in CAST - it looks like a scanline has just been dropped

Given that we're being charged extra for higher quality, I think this isn't acceptable