cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now Broadband credit check

Hello guys, I have been living in the UK for 10 months so far and now, I'm moving to a new flat and need to get HBB for obvious reasons haha

Anyhow, I don't have any credit history as of yet, as I'll need to be living here for at least a year and be paying utility bills for awhile to get there.

I'm wondering if I can get the now broadband without any credit history or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am not sure that NowTV undertakes a full comprehensive credit check on potential customers apart from taking a 10p fee from your card which is automatically credited back again to see if there is funds available on your bank card when you create a new NowTV account.

My understanding is that you need to be an UK resident, aged 18 years or over and have either a UK registered debit or credit card with either the Visa or MasterCard logo on the card with sufficient funds on the card for setting up a NowTV Broadband account

Further information in the link below on what type of payment cards you can use on the NowTV service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-payment-cards-can-i-use 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am not sure that NowTV undertakes a full comprehensive credit check on potential customers apart from taking a 10p fee from your card which is automatically credited back again to see if there is funds available on your bank card when you create a new NowTV account.

My understanding is that you need to be an UK resident, aged 18 years or over and have either a UK registered debit or credit card with either the Visa or MasterCard logo on the card with sufficient funds on the card for setting up a NowTV Broadband account

Further information in the link below on what type of payment cards you can use on the NowTV service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-payment-cards-can-i-use 

There was no credit search (soft or hard) made by them (or by any 3rd party on their behalf) via any of the three UK CRAs when I joined. Think they just use holding of a UK credit or debit card as validation of identity and address.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips, I've signed up to nowtv broadband and now I'm just waiting for the router 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My credit score is absolutely terrible..I made the mistake of not paying things when I was younger. I was accepted for now broadband and have has it for two months now. So if there is a credits check being run..it definitely can't be a full check 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I spoke with NOW on the phone, they confirmed they don’t use credit reference agencies. This means that no credit checks will be performed upon signup, and equally having a NOW account will not be part of your credit file or affect your credit score in any way. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To be boringly pedantic, NowTV will check there are funds on the card you sign up with (a whole 10p).

And thé conduct of your credit or debit card account, including your dealings with NowTV, and everyone else, will affect your credit score for good or ill.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.