cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why has the WEEKLY Sports Pass been discontinued

I only watch golf on Now TV and found the weekly pass ideal as that allowed me to watch a 4 day tournament for a price I can afford. I bought Now TV boxes for that very reason. The monthly pass is only worthwhile when there are top tournaments/championships every week.  Buying the daily pass is not cost effective and neither is the monthly pass for 4 days golf.

Now TV, please reinstate the Weekly Sports Pass if you want occasional sports fans to use Now TV in low season.

Did NOW TV extend the validity of passes due to the lack of live sports during Covid. I had an unvalidated Monthly Sports pass that expired early in the year.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can now sign up to 11 sports channels plus a couple of hundred other channels on Sky for £39/month. That is just £6 less than a one month Sports pass on Now TV.  You get entertainment channels included in that price. They cost £9.99 on Now TV.

The recent price increases and withdrawal of the Weekly Sports pass is a way of driving us towards a contract.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

...recent price increases and withdrawal of the Weekly Sports pass is a way of driving us towards a contract.

Whatever reason there was to withdraw the weekly sports pass it was not to make people take up long term contracts.  Aside from the upfront deals from last Black Friday, pretty much everything is monthly, except day sports passes.

As for the price increases, I am surprised if anyone pays full price for any now TV pass.  There are always offers.  Right now I pay nothing for Cinema. Up until end of November.  Three free months.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How long will the offers last. Paying £25 to watch 4 days of sport is not a special offer to me.

The normal price for a monthly sports pass is £33.99 almost as much as an annual contract that includes entertainment channels and 11 sports channels. I used to buy a 3 month entertainment pass for £15. A month pass now costs £9,99. The entertainment pass is no longer available in Currys or Argos. The normal prices of the passes until earlier this year were special. I don't view their new offers as special. Whatever the reason for the changes it is not in the interest of viewers.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

How long will the offers last.

15th November 2020.

Paying £25 to watch 4 days of sport is not a special offer to me.

Maybe not, but weekly sports passes cost £15 before they were scrapped. And £15 is what PPV football costs for less than 2 hours.

The normal prices are not what a number of people pay.  I currently have a three month sports pass for £16.67/month, an entertainment pass at £3.49/month, free cinema and boost at £2/month all running through to 14 December. All of these, bar sports were offers.  One email, one retention and one on special offers.  As I cancel the passes there will probably be retention offers I can’t refuse.  Also there will be Black Friday offers.

Also the advantage of the monthly passes is you can cancel them immediately.  Even with Virgin Media I am obliged to keep BT Sports or Sky Sports for at least 60 days.  Which is a lot more than £25.

Yes, it’s a pity the weekly sports pass has gone, but no other sports or movie or entertainment provider gives just a week of anything.  Netflix don’t even have free trials anymore.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Sky currently offering Sky Sports Golf in HD for £10/month, no contract.  But you have to have a Sky subscription...

https://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sports

7EBDFAF4-4EF2-4580-9342-251DA487D266.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SweetBlitz  Thank you.

I watch a lot of golf on my laptop and the picture is fine for my eyes. I couldn't justify paying an extra £10/month for a better quality picture on one channel. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SweetBlitz

"but no other sports or movie or entertainment provider gives just a week of anything".

That is why I was attracted to Now TV and  bought their boxes and passes. That was their USP.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You are getting an offer to have Sport for three months, for £25 a month, £9 less than standard..

If you take the first month at £25, and immediately cancel, then when the second month has started, you cannot come back for that or the third month at £25; these would then cost you £34.

So the ‘offer lost’ is the £9 discount on these two months.

Note that with passes that do this, it is usually possible to resurrect them in the current month with no penalty, though I don’t know if that applies here. But if it does, you could start the cancellation process, and see if you got a retention offer better than £25 😛

Oh, and in your subsequent posting, you mean £6 more, not less; but the point is clear enough.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

If I watched sports all the time the offer would be good. But I don't normally watch sport in winter. I watch the golf majors and a lot of the European tournaments.  That would normally be from the Masters in April until October. This year, the Masters is rescheduled to November because of Covid. If I watched all year I would seriously consider the £39 Sky contract.  You can add on Netflix for £4/month. I would rather do that, if I could afford it, than hunt the special offers that may or may not continue.

Now TV suited my viewing pattern so well. That's why over several years I have bought several boxes, upgrading to the latest, and numerous passes from Argos or Currys.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Starman. Are you sure you can cancel that 3 month sports offer after a month? I only want it for the Masters. If so, when do you have to cancel? Cheers