cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gb2000
Scholar

F1 Season pass refund - advice given by NowTV

I spoke at great length with an employee of NowTV on Live Chat yesterday. This part of the transcript is important:

null (3/16/2020, 4:25:32 PM): So should I just get a refund via my credit card company? That will cost you more than £198 because they will add a chargeback fee. Is that the only thing I can do?

AISHWARYA (3/16/2020, 4:29:22 PM): I cannot help you with refund as per our refund policy however, as you mentioned that you gonna contact credit card company I would suggest you to contact them, they might help you with refund.

So that seems to be the official advice from NowTV, direct from one of their employees. Contact your credit card company, or the bank who issues your credit card, and tell them you want to start a Section 75 Chargeback.

What follows is some additional information, explaining the process of getting your refund:

Here's a link for Lloyds, which explains why you are within your rights to do it, and how to get things started. You'll need to find your own bank's contact details if you're not with Lloyds.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/help-and-guidance/section75.html

If you go onto live chat, NowTV will refuse to refund your payment, whatever you say. Don't think you'll talk them round eventually. You will not. So just ask them for a refund, keep them talking until you feel as if you have enough information to make your case against them, and save the transcript. To do that, click on their name in the chat box - you'll see an option to save the transcript as a text file.

You can use that as proof to your bank that you've tried to get a refund, and that NowTV are refusing to give one. Explain to the bank that you've paid for a 9-month sports pass and that there are currently no live sports (just old re-runs) on any of the channels. That's not what you paid for. It doesn't matter that it's not NowTV's fault the sports are cancelled or postponed. If you pay for something, anything, and you don't get it, the person who sold it to you is responsible for paying you back, and is legally obliged to do so, in law.

Example: if you paid for Netflix in advance and one day all the movies were removed from it, but Netflix said 'don't worry, you can watch them later in the year when they are rescheduled', you would be entitled to a refund. Nobody would doubt that. There is no difference in your claim from NowTV. You have paid £198 for expensive TV content - live sports for 9 months. Currently you have access to old darts matches, American horse racing and very little else. Nobody would have paid £198 knowing that that was all they were getting.

There will be no F1 until at least the end of May. Football, cricket... who knows? All other sports are cancelled or postponed. NowTV will try to say that because they are postponed they don't need to give you a refund - you can watch them when they are rescheduled. That is absolutely NOT the case. You paid for sports in March, April, May... right up until November. You won't be getting them at all in March, and probably not April or May either.

The Consumer Credit Act of 2015 gives you full legal rights to a refund. You don't even need to be in the 14-day cooling-off period, which only relates to people changing their minds. You're not changing your mind - you want the sport, there is no sport, so you are entitled to a refund.

Please don't spend too much time on Live Chat. You won't persuade them to refund you there. They are drones told to refuse you, whatever you say. Just use it to get that transcript and contact your bank for a chargeback. It's your only option.

Cheers.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had a refund. I got the pass but i hadn't actually watched anything. . . Dont know if that makes a difference. . . Also i didnt ask for a refund. I just checked my account and it was there. I researched it and found loads of people saying they couldn't get one. Very confusing. I was just hoping they paused it until the season started. . . .