cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Expired Voucher ...

A couple of years ago I bought a Now TV box with an Entertainment Voucher.

The voucher has sat on my desk till now as I haven't had a need to use it (I also have a Sky subscription). This morning I tried to apply the voucher and it tells me that it has expired ...

Yet nowhere on the box or on the voucher does it say that it will expire or does it state an expiry date.

I would have though Sky would be on dodgy ground legally selling a product that expires without stating this ...

I have been chatting to someone on live chat and they have told me to go back to the retailer ... even though it was bought from Argos over 2 years ago.

I am *not* happy about this 😞 

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if the Vouchers expiry date is written down anywhere with either the old paper vouchers or the newer electronic preloaded vouchers that now comes bundled with the stick or boxes, but usually their is a grace period of 12 months from date of purchase to redeem and use these type of vouchers.

If it was me i would try live chat again where you may get a more sympathetic live chat agent who would possibly offer you a replacement voucher code.

Personally i wouldn't waste your time or fuel going back to Argos after a two year period where i doubt Argos would be interested in offering you any help after such a long period of not using the code that came bundled with the box.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well

I guess your just plum out of luck because when you buy a Now streaming device with a free pass, the pass itself is only valid for one year after purchase. Likewise, if your device did not work you would not be entitled to your money back. 

If Now TV will not give you a break, 2 years after purchase, it's unlikely the retailer will either. 

However, I will agree with you that there is no expiry date on those paper vouchers, but it has always been my practice to check with Now TV's Help Chat to confirm my voucher has been activated and its exact expiry date.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply ... however it doesn't tell you anywhere that the pass is valid for 12 months.

Your analogy is also not very good. When you buy a device like a Now TV box you get a warranty but you expect that the device will work many years after the warranty expires.

With the entertainment pass it is actively expired by Sky, it cannot be used after the warranty period. That is akin to Sky disabling the TV box after the warranty has expired.

😞

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well "e"

I guess you missed my point when I wrote, ".... Likewise, if your device did not work you would not be entitled to your money back". 

You see, your guarantee starts from the time you buy your device, not when you open it. So that if you open and use your device 12 months after purchase you will find you no longer have a valid guarantee.  

Therefore, if your device breaks down soon after opening are completely fails to work then you will find that neither the retailer or manufacturer has any obligation to replace or repair your now 12 month plus old device.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bob As I pointed out ... it is a poor point.

If I know that something has a warranty I take my chances if it doesn't work after the warranty runs out.

If I buy media that doesn't say has an expiry then I expect it to work whenever I get around to using it. Like I said it is akin to Sky disabling the Now TV Box as soon as the warranty runs out ... how many boxes do you think they would sell if they did this?