cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Black Friday 2020 Prediction

Here is my prediction for NOW TV’s Black Friday offerings - NOTHING

Comcast’s interest in NOW TV was nothing more than their need to asset strip it for their Peacock product.

Offering discounts is in direct conflict with the need to make it unpalatable compared to Sky. Once all the vouchers have timed out it will be overpriced except only for those who wish to dip in and out.

61 REPLIES 61
GrumpyDonkey
Scholar 2

That's hogwash.

Offers are not based on your account.

People really need to stop saying the codswallop.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Agreed, the offers bare no relation to what you’ve watched or what service you have... it’s all about upselling...

We have now cancelled our vouchers and they run out in the next few days.

Overpriced service from NowTV...

Acceptable for the £99 for the year for both but £22 a month for what they offer, no thanks...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think we are all going to have to get used to the situation. This is not neglect by NOW TV but a conscious business decision.

Consider the following recent events:

1. The withdrawal of the third-party seller gift card/vouchers
  2. The weird random sport offers targeting specific users
  3. Withdrawal of Tesco Club Card Reward relationship
  4. The lack of annual or even 9-month offers to pull new customers in
  5. The lack of a retention offer when to cancel a rolling-subscription
  6. The lack of TV app updates e.g. on Samsung and LG - still no Sport on Demand
  7. The ever absent Apple TV app update

Clearly NOW TV are trying to hit some sort of goal. These could include:

1. Make NOW TV profitable when compared to a Sky subscription to push "customers" toward a Sky subscription
  2. Maybe Sky are going to finally launch Sky X  - "Dish-less" Sky
  3. NOW TV are preparing the ground to shutdown the direct to customer service.

I don't really care what NOW TV do - I would miss F1 coverage but I'm never going back to Sky. I think a large percentage NOW TV "customers" are more like "users" and will be quite happy to abandon NOW TV without a second thought - They just need a little push.

Only time will tell.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Food for thought...

I will never return to “Sky” and looks like I am an ex NowTV subscriber as well...

Too many other offerings out there at a lot less now...
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Consider the following recent events:

1. The withdrawal of the third-party seller gift card/vouchers - Probably because of the issues with unactivated cards and the time spent dealing with them buy customer services
  2. The weird random sport offers targeting specific users - There are so many offers and all marketing targets specific users.  I gave away a couple of  sports codes when asked on forum, they weren’t user specific
  3. Withdrawal of Tesco Club Card Reward relationship - Never used it so maybe the lack of use prompted this.
  4. The lack of annual or even 9-month offers to pull new customers in - After the refunds for F1 season tickets and the extra passes for football season tickets maybe it is more trouble than it is worth in COVID times.
  5. The lack of a retention offer when to cancel a rolling-subscription - I got a retention offer on cinema when I cancelled 2 weeks ago
  6. The lack of TV app updates e.g. on Samsung and LG - still no Sport on Demand - the on demand is there, but you have to use search to access it on now tv sticks 
  7. The ever absent Apple TV app update-  Don’t use it so I can’t comment

Clearly NOW TV are trying to hit some sort of goal. These could include:

1. Make NOW TV profitable when compared to a Sky subscription to push "customers" toward a Sky subscription - The competition is Netflix and Prime so why do that? 
  2. Maybe Sky are going to finally launch Sky X  - "Dish-less" Sky -  Err that is Now TV
  3. NOW TV are preparing the ground to shutdown the direct to customer service. - All there is is chat anyway.

==================

Now TV obviously has to hit goals and be profitable.  It is not a charity.  Everyone knows the advertised prices (Cinema £12/month; Entertainment £10/month; Sports £34/month) make no sense when compared with Netflix, Prime or even Disney+ so they have offers.  The costs are kept down with limited customer support, limited app upgrades and right now limited stick availability.  Sky are not about to give up on the streaming market when so many people are cord cutting. I have Virgin for broadband; the £5 tv box and BT sport at £12/month is a bonus.  But would have no qualms moving off.

Ultimately Now TV has a fairly fickle subscriber base.  They cancel after free trials, they take a month or two during school holidays, they watch a week of cricket etc.  These are people who won’t buy 18 month contracts.  

When tomorrow comes, Now TV will have some fair to middling Black Friday offers.  But in all likelihood there will be many more over the next 12 months.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@GrumpyDonkey 
On what proof do you have that it is not?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
GrumpyDonkey
Scholar 2

In 6 years, there has never been an offer in that section of my account, regardless of what I have watched over the previous year or 5.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@GrumpyDonkey 

Unfortunately its the way Now TV appear to be moving towards.

I myself have been a customer for 8 years. Over the past 2 years Now TV has seen the most changes. Most likely down to the ownership of NBC Comcast. 

That being said, when you “cancel” Netflix or Amazon I don’t recall having any offers to retain my custom. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

They have added more features lately in fairness though it is still far behind competition honestly would of expected all sports channels in 50FPS this year.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Absolutely couldn’t agree more. When BT released their BT Sport apps for “TVs” it was 1080p and 50fps by default, along with catch up.

Disney+ launching with Profiles and 4K content, Amazon adding Profiles. 

Whilst Now TV has indeed improved. Some features not present just make it relatively poor when compared to other services.