cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

why cant i get normal tv on new now tv stick

i installed the new stick yesterday and for some reason i dont now get any normal tv channels i.e itv or channel 4 them sort of channels have i done something wrong or do you not get them on the new stick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You won't get the Freeview over the air TV channels from the NowTV smart stick.

If you want this feature you will need the NowTV smart box connected to a TV aerial.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

That’s totally fair, can see what you and @Anonymous User mean.

@Anonymous User 

What sort of TV do you have? Is it a TV where you could convert a USB into a hard drive for TV recording? As might be able to use this as a way of pausing Freeview. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@redchiz1 

Don't know much about them. Maybe I'll get a YouView or Freeview box. Can you tell me the difference between the two and if there are any other brands? And can both be used to their full potential on Now TV account?

When you say you have plugged a hard drive into your TV does that mean you are continually recording whichever channel you're watching so that you can pause and rewind?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It was me that suggested the hard drive recording via USB.
Not sure how it works as I’ve never set it up on my TV but it does offer it.

Also I went onto to say that I understood your point of view for pausing.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@gavs82008 OK, I will leave it to you to answer the other questions also. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

No feel free to answer them if you want 😃 more so considering I don’t have either device. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@gavs82008 Ah OK, it was me who I thought made the suggestion in the first place.

@Anonymous User PVRs that allow you to pause/rewind/record live TV have been around for years. There are still some in the market, but they are a dying technology as streaming services take over. They would also be quite an expensive solution for your issue.

An alternative available on many modern TVs with a USB port is to connect a memory stick/hard drive directly which will give you the functionality you want. Check on your TV maker's support pages to see if that will work on your model.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

When I want to go to the toilet. When I get a phone call. When someone knocks on the door. When I feel hungry. And lots of other reasons. When I didn't hear something properly or if I think I missed something on screen. There are many reasons why someone would want to pause and rewind.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My master phone socket is upstairs, which is where I have therefore had to plug in my NOW TV Hub. How can I get my TV downstairs to give me the programme guide for 'live TV' if I can't connect a cable from the hub (upstairs) to the TV (downstairs)?! Excuse my ignorance! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No need to run an Ethernet cable from your upstairs Hub Router , where all branded NowTV devices work over WiFi (reception coverage permitted).

Also unless you have the older NowTV Freeview box (blue NowTV logo on top of the box casing) with an aerial plugged into the back of the smart box, then you won't get the full complement of Freeview channels.

Though with the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 App you can watch live channels.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Adding to what @schnapps said, the programme guide for live TV comes to your TV over the TV aerial, not the Internet. 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.