cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

why cant i get normal tv on new now tv stick

i installed the new stick yesterday and for some reason i dont now get any normal tv channels i.e itv or channel 4 them sort of channels have i done something wrong or do you not get them on the new stick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You won't get the Freeview over the air TV channels from the NowTV smart stick.

If you want this feature you will need the NowTV smart box connected to a TV aerial.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy 

Yes; every time I ask in Curry’s if anyone can answer a technical question or fix a broken product, they all smile brightly and say “Nohow”.

At least, I think that’s what they are saying..... Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Yeah the Shop Sales assistant (not going to mention any companies) does come into play now & again where they have given the wrong advice to customers.

Another contributory factor is that customers have wrongly assumed that if a previous nowtv device included an inbuilt Freeview TV tuner then they assumed any newer nowtv devices will also include similar features.

All i can say is doing your research is vitally important when buying any product before parting with your hard earned cash (even if the nowtv stick only costs around £15).

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Hi Schnapps

You know, I agree with most, if not all, of what you have posted but there is one little wrinkle and that is: "All I can say is doing your research is vitally important when buying any product before parting with your hard earned cash...".

OK, as a matter of personal policy, I always do my own research before buying any type of electrical device or equipment.  But not everybody thinks that way, in fact I had a friend who actually said that he should be able to walk into any store, give a shop assistant an idea of what he is after and then have the shop assistant tell him what he should buy. When I heard this I reacted with shock and some anger. However, and the point is, a lot of people behave the same way, i.e. depend on a shop assistant to honestly "assist them".

The simple fact is there will always be a sizeable percentage of people that cannot or will not do any research for themselves and so will always defer to a "commission hungry" shop assistant for their buying advice.  And then blame someone, or anyone, else if the advice turns out to be wrong.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV support told me to buy a Smart Stick to replace my NowTV Smart box (generation one) but forgot to mention that there are no terrestrial channels available via the Smart Stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV support told me to buy a Smart Stick to replace my malfunctioning NowTV Smart box (generation one) but forgot to mention that there are no terrestrial channels available via the Smart Stick. 

Is there any device that I can buy that will enable me to get the terrestrial channels and the NOW TV channels on the same app/remote? 

I have a QE58Q60TAUXXU Samsung TV that requires two remotes which is annoying enough. I used to be able to control everything with the generation one smart box so why have NOW taken a step backwards? 

If I can't get everything in the same place like it was before on The Generation 1 smart box I may as well go back to Virgin. At least I can get everything on the same screen and I wouldn't be using 3 remotes to watch my TV. 

So if you ask me it's a pretty daft Move by NOW TV. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Sounds like a pretty daft move by Samsung. I have a Samsung TV that came with two remotes, but I have only ever used one of them, and there’s nothing it can’t do. Including controlling the Now app on the TV.

Why do you need two Samsung remotes? Why were you using a Now Smart box with it, the one that was killed by its remote’s lack of a numeric keypad?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the smart box before I bought the TV to so there was no reason to set up NOW TV on the Smart TV so I used the box for the same reasons previously mentioned. 

I can control some of my TV features with one remote but the other remote is needed to set it all up.

Another reason for using the box is being able to pause terrestrial TV. I can't do that with the NOW TV stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB

I would guess if Samsung made a TV with two remotes it's probably for good reason. It's impossible to set up the TV stick without using the second remote. You can't access any settings via the smaller one. The larger one does everything but it's full of tiny fiddly buttons. Probably the worst designed remote I've ever handled. Next time I will buy an LG.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NOW no longer manufacture the stick never mind the box. They are putting their effort into the app itself, which is something they should have done from the beginning if you ask me.

There is no such streaming device that gives you an aerial connection. However all the apps such as ITV, All4 and iPlayer all have the watch live function. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 @Anonymous User 

No Stick or Roku device, perhaps.

But any Freeview Play/YouView recording or zapper box provides this.