cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

why cant i get normal tv on new now tv stick

i installed the new stick yesterday and for some reason i dont now get any normal tv channels i.e itv or channel 4 them sort of channels have i done something wrong or do you not get them on the new stick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You won't get the Freeview over the air TV channels from the NowTV smart stick.

If you want this feature you will need the NowTV smart box connected to a TV aerial.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You won't get the Freeview over the air TV channels from the NowTV smart stick.

If you want this feature you will need the NowTV smart box connected to a TV aerial.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

oh i see thanks so much for clearing that up for me it was driving me mad as i am not very technical but i understand what you mean and will sort it out now thank you !

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yeah unfortunately the smart stick doesn't have an inbuit TV tuner to watch all the Freeview TV channels.

The smart stick ony has the BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub. All 4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play App.

More info here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-tv-box-stick-technical-specification

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I've got the NOW TV2 box there isn't a port for the aerial any ideas???

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unless you own the NowTV Smart box (generation one) identified in the picture below, then you won't be able to watch over the air Freeview with any other branded NowTV devices.

now_tv_smart_box_with_remote.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks - a bit daft that though isn't it :):)

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Why is it daft? Pretty much the only thing you could plug that box into was a TV, which would already have the Freeview channels anyway.

There are a couple of corner cases for those who use a monitor, and for those who have an HD TV without an HD tuner.

But the former will generally have to further decide how they are going to get sound, and the latter must have a TV made before 2009 (and yes I had just such a one, and would watch HD channels via a DigitalStream PVR. But it all went in 2015).

So pretty slim pickings for NowTV there, and the more so when people found they couldn’t just choose the channel from the remote, as NowTV, or Roku, omitted to use a remote with a numeric keypad.

However, perhaps you have an angle I have missed. So can you share why you are disappointed this NowTV device with Freeview on it is no longer a current product?

And if you really want one, this guy has two for sale....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @RoyB 

Hi Schnapps

Wasn't it a few years back when we had s spate of newbies writing to the forum asking the same thing, why can't we get normal terrestrial TV on our Now TV boxes?

Now, the same question is being asked again.

I can't prove it but I "sense" the hand of Currys Tech Staff.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

There are a few words I could replace 'Tech' with when it comes to the know nothings at Currys 😂