Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

subtitles

462 REPLIES 462
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Andy - I hadn't known about this.  I've just signed up the trial (though I don't have a current pass).  I guess I'll hear from them about the trial and get a pass once I do if looks promising.

Thanks again for letting me know.

Frank

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User You're welcome, hope you manage to get on the trial!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles option is an absolutely basic service, so I think that You will be still loosing your clients as long as it is unavailable...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are still no subtitles a lot of people depend on this so they can actually enjoy TV as much as others. I am hard of hearing and am very dissapointed there are no subtitles. Put them on there be fair.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How is this not against the Equality act 2010?!  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm 70% deaf and heavily rely on subs. I noticed the drama "Tin Star" had subtitles, so I started watching today and enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I got to episode 4 and guess what, yep, it hasn't got subs. But hey, ep 5 does. Then the rest (ep 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10) don't have them. I'm trying to work out what bright spark decided this was a good idea. You either subtitle the entire show, or not at all. You really couldn't make this up.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm assuming that NowTV are just ignoring this thread completely now. Why are they not giving an update regarding subtitles, especially the lack of them on the "Entertainment" package. My last post pointed out the ridiculousness of it. A 10 episode drama with only 4 subtitled episodes. I'm trying to work out the logic behind that.

Come on NowTV staff, have some respect (laughable thought) and update the hard of hearing/deaf community.

Oh look, I've just seen a flying pig.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got a Now TV box at the end of July 2017 and enjoyed watching catch-up TV on the BBC i-Player app with subtitles. This service continued to be excellent until mid-December 2018 after which the subtitles were no longer available. I have had various unproductive discussions with the Now Helpline (Case Ref. 64098003) and purchased a new Now TV stick in case the problem was with my box. However its just the same, no subtitles on catch-up TV and very limited subtitling on Sky Atlantic or anything else. The picture continues to be excellent.

Can anyone tell me how to restore the subtitles on catch-up TV or indicate what might have gone wrong in mid-December when subtitles ceased to be available? For those like myself with hearing problems subtitles are essential for TV viewing.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Subtitles is working for me using the BBC iPlayer App on my nowtv box (version  3.1 build 81000045).

Just tested it out on the movie War of the Worlds and an episode of Top Gear.

When playing content, press the OK button on the nowtv remote, then make sure the white line is underlined by pressing OK under the S symbol.

If it doesn't work for you, maybe try removing the iPlayer App and re install it again from the box / stick Apps Store.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schnapps,  Success!!

Many thanks for your help. I had not noticed the white underline on the S tab before you mentioned it. It confused me by only appearing with the "Subtitles Off" message. 

I suppose the "Subtitles Off" message actually means "Subtitles On" and you press the button again to turn them off. 

I wonder if I'm alone in being confused by this as I posted about this on a Cochlear Implant forum and several people replied to say that Now TV doesn't provide subtitles.

I can't believe I missed this but I will just have to put it down to a lot of senior moments.

Once again, your guidance is very much appreciated and my New Year is quite a bit happier as a result.

Regards