Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

subtitles

462 REPLIES 462
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, I have been using Amazon Prime Instant video recently as it is part of my student Prime membership and guess what? they have subtitles.

This begs the question of why there are (STILL) no subtitles on NowTV when it is technically simple (has been for many a year) and Sky's competitors are doing it.  Do Sky just hate people who have a need/desire for Subtitles or do they just like flouting disability discrimination legislation?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
What does this mean closed captions (CC) if not subtitles
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User those are box wide settings, each app needs to support them, which unfortunately the NOW TV app doesn't.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Don't understand reply

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User, it means that the box could support subtitles. However the actual use of subtitles is decided by the specific app. Currently the Now TV app has not enabled this. I don't know if the others do, as I don't use that function.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268@Anonymous User

The only app I know that supports Subtitles is Netflix on my two Rokus ( not NOWTV box)

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Google play movies also support subtitles/closed captions, but not for all content. Let's be honest closed captions/subtitles do the same thing. It's just that the end result is not achieved in the same way

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Closed Captions (CC) were originally developed in the USA in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Over here in the UK/EU our subtitle systems work in a different way to CC.

Given that the Roku is an US developed product, it makes sence that it supports US developed features (such as CC). Sadly, Roku products do not support UK/EU subtile systems!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Subtitles are needed urgently. I will be cancelling my subscription due to lack of them. As now TV is almost double the cost of Netflix and Amazon who both offer subtitles it's not really acceptable. To alienate a large section of the community because of a disability is not ok. When speaking to an advisor on the live chat I was informed they there is no timescale set for when this is happening and it was due to technical difficulties. Is this true? If so how have other apps solved this yet now tv are still struggling to grasp it?
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

We work with a large account of content providers so this can make the process somewhat more complex but this is something that we're looking to implement.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team