Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

subtitles

462 REPLIES 462
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Where are you up to with implementing this? The fact that it hasn't been done yet is frankly pitiful and by not doing it you are showing that you do not care about your customers or stamping out discrimination.

Why can't you do it when Netflix and iPlayer do? Just about every DVD I buy has subtitles and most films in the cinemas have some subtitled showings so the subtitles are available. From what aI have seen, even a lot of pirated/torrented movies come with subtitles thrown in and they aren't even being paid.

So what is the excuse? Technically, it is not complicated as the NowTV box supports subtitles in a standardised form. Practically it is not complicated as the subtitles already exist for the content. Is it laziness? Incompetence? Or just plain contempt for your customers?

I am not deaf (though I have family who are and they really do rely on subtitles) but I do use them when watching late at night so as not to disturb anyone or having to change the volume every few seconds. For example, tonight I watched the Sum of All Fears but I really could not enjoy it as I had to ride the volume control due to the dynamic range - with subtitles, I would have not had to do this.

Sort this out otherwise I may be another customer who votes with his feet.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

There's no further news on this topic since the post I made here. If there is any news, we'll let you know here, but there's nothing else to add for now.

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User instead of posting messages referring to no changes in this area how
about acknowledging it's clearly what you're customers want??? Pull your
fingers out and post some news acknowledging this and what now/sky TV are
doing about it!!!!!

Now TV ask for community feedback and then have the nerve to say non
feedback will result in forum account closure. Talk about heavy handed
tactics.

Please reply giving me the details of the the CEO of now TV as it seems in
order to get an official reply I will be required to write to the top
man/woman.

Yet again it clearly demonstrates the utter contempt Now Tv/Sky holds about
you're customers.

I await you're reply.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User, can you just clairfy your comments about "non feedback" and "forum account closure"? I don't understand.

Regarding escalating your query, the best thing to do is follow our complaints procedure.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm sorry but that really doesn't cut it as subtitles are not a "complex issue" - there are many existing standards for streaming, broadcast and internet transmission of video. In fact, for the NowTV box, Roku provide Subtitle support (in industry-standard subtitle standards) through the development API and expanded it in January.

If it is such a complex issue, please tell me why? The subtitles exist, there are standards and libraries for their distribution and your chosen hardware platform makes it easy for your developers to implement.

Again, I ask, how can other providers and pirates offer this but not a service "powered" by a large corporation with lots of resources?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're absolutely right. Anyway enough is enough and I have terminated my subscription. If there had been a better response to critical voices on this forum I might have been more patient but as things stand I am departing and will lend my voice to others who are calling for a benchmark to be set in this virtual world in the same way that one has been set in the physical world. I don't see why there should be one rule for one environment and a different rule for the online world.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thank you NowTv but for now I'm going back to Netflix where subtitles are available in most movies
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just signed up, really surprised there is no subtitle support.

If you guys wanna compete with illegal downloads you need to add subtitle support, ASAP.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add my own voice to the many others wanting subtitles. BBC iPlayer on the NowTV box has them and disappointed that Sky Movies on the box doesn't. 

I am not deaf or hard of hearing - but others in my family are and I know only too well the frustration that comes with not being able to follow the dialogue (some recent output makes it hard to follow even for those without hearing problems). 

This is discrimination, and exactly the kind of thing the DDA was passed to prevent. It needs to be higher up NowTV's list of priorities I feel - and move from under consideration to scheduled and have a clear and public delivery date. 

[Link removed, please do not repost or reference]

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No subtitles is not just discrimination of hard of hearing people, but also those whose first language isn't English and who by watching TV and films with subtitles learn the language. It's a deal breaker for those, including myself. I'm stunned that whoever has made the decision to omit subtitles in your offering, probably hasn't thought of that, surely enormous, market too.