cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sky q over broadband

What will the future of now tv be with sky announcing that sky q will be avaliable over broadband 

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have not tried one, but lots and lots of people i know have switched to these jail broken Roku sticks

its not surprising when you see the cost of just watching TV

its gone crazy

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you could also ask how it will effect likes of BT TV or Virgin. The beauty of Now is no contract. I guess it's a bit like phones, you get landline or mobile, then you get PAYG or contract.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 If sky allow you to get it via any broadband provider I could see it being the end of BTTV. I’m currently a BTTV/Now TV customer and the only reason we don’t just have sky instead is because we can’t have a satellite dish installed on our house!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@4268 If sky allow you to get it via any broadband provider I could see it being the end of BTTV. I’m currently a BTTV/Now TV customer and the only reason we don’t just have sky instead is because we can’t have a satellite dish installed on our house!

What a daft comment. The main reason people don't have SKY is because of the price. I expect there are a small minority that can't have a dish but the majority will be because of the price and that won't change.

People have NowTV because they don't want a contract and to pay 'SKY' high prices. None of this will change with SKY over Broadband. They also fall into the same issues as BT (like how fast a BB speed you require to feed multiple tuners which therefore becomes an issue for multiroom) as also UHD live feeds.

This will make a very small impact and I would expect to be restricted to people with at least 20Mbps BB speed (BT uses about 7Mb per HD channel so to watch and record two seperate channels needs at least 15Mbps with some headroom for other activities).

We haven't even raised the issue of data useage (BT allow TV to not record against data useage, will SKY do the same).

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
@Anonymous User you could also ask how it will effect likes of BT TV or Virgin. The beauty of Now is no contract. I guess it's a bit like phones, you get landline or mobile, then you get PAYG or contract.

This is just my personal opinion that I think sky TV over IP will probably be contract based and you may well have to have sky is your ISP as well. Whereas NowTV is no contract, and NowTV doesn't care what ISP your with.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User my two reasons for not having Sky is, I don't want a dish, risk of vandalism here. The broadband speed is appalling as no fibre round here. If Sky-Q was not restricted to Sky broadband, I would consider it.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:
@Anonymous User my two reasons for not having Sky is, I don't want a dish, risk of vandalism here. The broadband speed is appalling as no fibre round here. If Sky-Q was not restricted to Sky broadband, I would consider it.

@4268 Surely if you have no fibre then sky q over broadband is exactly pointless for you.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User not if I can get I can use Virgin broadband. I currently have Virgin TV plus Now.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 Ah so you can get fibre (all the same thing just ends with coax instead of copper pair). Personally I would be surprised if sky over ip will be allowed over virgin because of the complications of multicast and cdn's but who knows.