Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

"90% of Now TV customers haven't considered Sky"

I just found this interesting snippet in this article:

Damien Read, director of product marketing for Now TV, stressed that Sky’s standalone over-the-top service is not cannibalising its core pay TV offering.

“We generally know we are expanding the market. 90% of our viewers haven’t even considered Sky. We really see ourselves as focusing on this ‘pay-lite’ segment,” said Read.

Not sure if that figure is backed by statistics or if it's a guesstimate.  If true, Now TV really is a valuable way of extending Sky channels to people who will consider 'pay-lite' but not full subscription pay TV.  (I know I'm one of those customers).

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm part of the % they won't like, ditching the high costs of their premium service to get it on the cheap.

ukbobboy
Legend

@DarylM @Anonymous User

Hi D (& SK)

Guys, I'm definitely one of the 90% that have never (ever) considered Sky or any other permanent contract pay TV, I like to dip in and out of my TV films and shows and not (hog) tied to a particular channel.

Thinking about it, I don't even watch ITV anymore and that used to be the most popular TV channel .  

You know, it does not matter whether this "90%" is based on real statistics, which most people do not understand or believe, or a guesstimate but I think that Now TV's Director of  Product Marketing has identified a marketing sector that was previously unknown within the UK. I hope that Now TV  continue to grow this sector because, I believe, it is consumer friendly and ultimately beneficial.

UK Bob

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sky created a new brand with Now TV because there are people who just won't join Sky (for various reasons).

Now TV isn't intended to be a 'starter' version of Sky.  Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people downgrading from Sky to Now TV is broadly matched by the number of people upgrading from Now TV to Sky.  The rest are entirely new customers that Sky wouldn't have reached any other way than via Now TV.

It used to be the case that the market divided into people who would subscribe to Pay TV and those who wouldn't.  But the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm proved that there were lots of people who would 'pay lite' for non-contract services.

Sky would deny it, but I believe that Now TV wouldn't exist without the success of Netflix.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Legend 5
Legend 5

I believe some Sky customer's will have either the Movies pass as an add on when they need it or use the Sports Day/Week passes when they need to rather than paying out a lot of money each month for these.   

As for the TV channels,  reason I chose Now is because I didn't want to risk a dish getting vandalised- ground floor flat, end terrace.....

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@DarylM @4268

Hi D

You said, "I believe that Now TV wouldn't exist without the success of Netflix", I am inclined to agree with you because this new market sector, mentioned in my last post, could not have presented itself to Now TV execs in a blinding vision, there had to be someone who dipped their toe in the water first. And that toe belonged to Netflix.

I'm sure Sky saw this, and through their association with Roku, believed that this was a market area that they could exploit, after all Sky had the content and technical knowledge, these set of circumstances then gave birth to Now TV. 

I believe that as long as Now TV continues to grow this market sector we as customers will also benefit by being able to buy advanced smart devices at affordable prices.

UK Bob

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I also think Now TV must be used by plenty of Virgin subscribers as a cheap way of getting Sky Atlantic.