cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

need to know something.

If I am away from my tv like gone on holiday or out with a friend or family and can't anything that has a wifi and cant get 4g on my phone to watch anything on the app is there any way I can set my tv to record even thro I am not anywhere near my tv one other what this I am reading about calls with now boardband when I didn't think now tv does landline phones or mobiles?

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unless you are a BT TV customer with a NOW bolt on package, then NOW don't offer a way to record any of their live channels.

You could use the catch up service if the show is available from there or if it's live Sky Sports then there is the On Demand Sports section (though some of the on Demand Sports is only available for a short time to watch around 7 days on certain sports events) when you are back home or have access to the internet.

NOW also offers a download service for mobile smartphones and tablets to watch offline after you have downloaded the TV episode or movie.

Note sure about what you are asking on the last sentence of your question.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

oh ok so if I had now tv with BT I will be able to set my tv to rec well I am out and about?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are a BT TV customer and have a NOW bolt on package directly with BT, then you can record live NOW content from the main BT TV Guide on the BT Youview box only.

You will also need to be a BT Broadband customer to have BT TV.

Screenshot_2021-10-24-18-14-22.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can i still the now tv app if i have now tv throe my  BT membership?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My understanding is that you can record through the live TV main Guide on the BT Youview box, plus use the NOW App on the BT Youview box.

You can still use other NOW supported playback devices with your BT TV account.

Maybe have a read of this BT NOW FAQ and if you have any questions, then get them first hand from BT TV customers on the BT TV Community Forum, where they will know all the advantages and disadvantages on using NOW directly through BT.

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/channels-and-packages/now-tv-on-bt-tv 

I tend to stick with NOW myself because of retention and discounted deals that i get offered from NOW directly.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Forgot to mention if you are thinking of going with BT TV make sure you order a BT Youview box with a hard drive for recording.

I haven't looked into BT TV for a number of years and not sure if they still offer a BT Youview basic Zapper box that doesn't have a hard drive in them for recording.

Hopefully the BT Youview boxes only have the hard drive recording feature on them and the cheaper BT Zapper box they used to offer has been discontinued.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Avoid the small BT TV box on the far right in the screen shot below which doesn't have a hard drive for live recording.

Screenshot_2021-10-24-18-50-22.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Another thing i forgot to mention is that the two middle BT Recording Youview boxes need to run over hard wired Ethernet from what i can remember and you need a TV aerial for the terrestrial channels.

Where the latest box on the left of the picture i believe can run over Ethernet or WiFi but still need a TV aerial for terrestrial live TV channels (perhaps somebody who uses the BT TV Box Pro can confirm accordingly ?).

If you are seriously looking a BT TV with NOW bolt on package through BT direct, then any questions, might be better if you ask over on the BT TV Community Forum.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

Yes the BT Pro box, which I think is what BT is now supplying with all new BT TV accounts (but check and make sure you get this one), works over WiFi or wired Ethernet.

BT will want you to use their router with this setup, though it does work with other routers.

Regarding recording remotely, BT offer a phone app on which you can schedule it to record individual programmes up to a week in advance, or for series, out into the future as far as they go from the next week’s episode.

Its pretty much an EDGE or 3G corner case though, to be in a place where you can get enough signal to set a recording, but not enough to watch the programme on your mobile.

And this would be a pretty major commitment to make, just to not miss Now programming while you are away, though; what is it you wouldn’t be able to watch on catchup when you came home again?

Oh, and re Now Broadband, Now are an ISP offering landline Broadband services (but not mobile) as well as a streaming services provider. But the decision to take Now Broadband or not can, and should, be made entirely separately from the decision to take Now streaming services, as there is no synergy between the two.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.