cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will 4K ever come to Now TV?

Is Now TV ever going to get 4K - think it's one big fat joke of Sky how they still charge "extra" for the privilege of watching films in HD - HD has been like the standard resolution of most other broadcasters for about 10 years - but Now TV try and squeeze that extra bit of profit out of Now TV by charging £5 extra just for HD.  Bit laughable really when other rivals like Netflix and Amazon are offering HD as standard and 4K as  a premium product - seems Sky/Now is a bit of a dinosaur - apart from the amount of films included in the subscription that no-one else has - that seems to be the only thing that's keeping them going.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

Maybe, maybe not. Sky indicated last year that 4k HDR and Dolby ATMOS would be coming to Now but without a timeline.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/now-tv/156945-sky-s-now-plans-include-4k-hdr-as-part-of-boost-ad...

The complication is Sky's implementation of Sky Stream, so would they have 2 systems offering pretty much the same thing under 2 different brands? I doubt it. Keeping Now free of bells and whistles gives Sky the opportunity to upsell to their premium product. For some customers, the leap between the two products isn't that far.

As for your suggestion that the only thing keeping Now going is a catalogue of films others don't have, you've completely missed the cash cow that is live sports. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Saint1976 wrote:

For some customers, the leap between the two products isn't that far. 

Interesting you say that. I had a "courtesy call" from Sky yesterday offering me an "unbeatable" broadband and TV deal. Sadly it wasn't. My current ISP offers a much better deal for broadband. And the cheapest offer for Sky Q was £18 a month for Entertainment. And then £18 extra for Sports. I didn't enquire about Cinema. So that leap was way too far for me. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah didnt really think of sports as I don't really watch sport myself but even still can you imagine if Now offered Sports in 4K too.

Also yeah Sky Stream I guess is similar but Now TV doesn't get you to sign a full 12-month contract to get the product like Sky do (and most other streaming companies offer TV add ons as rolling 1 month contracts rather than locking people into 12 month contracts - the 12 month contracts used to work when you got something out of it - like when you took a 12-month contract with Sky years ago at the end of the 12 months the Sky+HD box was yours to keep if you cancelled and it would just revert to a Freesat box, or when you sign a 12/24-month mobile phone contract you might be given a 'free' phone but with Sky Streaming, Sky Glass or Sky Q - there really is no incentive to sign a long term contract because if you cancel the contract after the minimum period they come out and returns the Sky Q box or Sky Glass TV - so you're not really getting anything for signing such a long contract. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User Sky Glass and Sky Stream are available on 1 month rolling terms/contact free. The equipment is also yours as you pay for the TV or box upfront.