cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is there no NOW TV App for Amazon Fire TV ?

Why is there no Now TV App for Amazon Fire TV ? I had the same issue that many of your customers complain about when I had to install Now TV on my iPad to cast it via a Chromecast device because there was no App - which then took me over the device limit and I couldn't watch it anyway ! You have to make it easier to use your service - it's painful and frustrating with too manay overlapping restrictions.

11 REPLIES 11
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  it is because they see themselves as rivals.  There is no Amazon Prime app on the Now box for example.   It is not clear whether the blockage is from Sky or Amazon.  I suspect Sky as you can get the Netflix app on Amazon Fire boxes.   I personally think it would be a popular choice of app.  

Regarding the Chromecast.  If you cast first then play content only the Chromecast counts as a device.  The mobile/tablet works as a controller.  What other devices do you have on your account?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Elite 1 - I guess the marketing guys need to start playing ball then - this is is the sort of frustration along with device management restrictions that makes me not want to bother - why make it hard for someone to be a customer and use your product . . . anyway thanks for your answer and the tip on casting - much appreciated 😉

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User not a problem though I am just a fellow customer.  If you like the service and want to save a few pennies on going after any deal you may be on finishes,  Try these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3179440.htm?tag=ar:shop:nowtv:3monthentpass

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Elite 1 - thanks for the link. I work in IT and spend my days sorting tech problems out - so I just want things to be easy to use and work when I'm home. I'm a big believer in making things easy for people - we have better things to do than have to waste time sorting stuff like this out. Why do you call yourself Elite 1 by the way ? 😉

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  I don't, my forum ID is 4268  the elite 1 or whatever it is simply relates to number of posts.    Not sure why the Now team decided on the names they did for post rankings.  I know  someone who has rank legend 3 on here.    

This is a customer led forum to a large extent.  I first got more involved in the forum back when they did the black box trial.     I find it nice to help folk where I can enjoy the product.   Let's face it if they had to employ more staff rather than have a forum the prices would be higher.

It can be worth keeping an eye out for trials, I got my first black box and my smart box free due to trials they are posted on the forum.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Application

Also be aware NowTV uses GOOGLE frame works which Amazon Do not allow on Fire OS 5...

NowTV uses Google services frame work and Google account management frame work...

Amazons Rebuild of Android in to FIRE OS strips out googles frame works and installs, saving over 500MB of storage space...

Google Require you to use Google Play store to KEEP these upto date... resulting in even more storage used.. 

Google play store is also NOT available on Kindle by legit means and requires Extra user skills for install not open to domestic users are needed...

To install an app on Kindle these services MUST be removed and replaced by another system... Amazon require apps just download and run to get on the Kindle...

NowTV app Will not do that...

Chromecast...

Chrome cast is Not built in to Fire OS, The Youtube app supports casting to Every device via Software ethernet controll not hardware...

Amazon have there own Rival service for pushing content to devices and thats system is built into XRAY amazons version/clone of casting software...

As again chromecast is a Google Library it was removed from android build when making Fire OS this is what happen when software is Open source they don't have to include any thing they don't want to and that includes all of googles libraries...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

how can now tv be installed thro.amazon stick?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Unfortunately the Amazon Fire TV box or stick doesn't support the NowTV App Smiley Sad

Here's a list of supported NowTV devices.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Time for Amazon Fire devices to have Now TV app!

I understand as it stands Now TV/Sky are pretty much refusing to allow the Now TV app to be on any Amazon Fire device, much like the Prime Video is not on any Now TV devices. 

Yes I know that you can get a Roku stick which will have both Amazon and Now TV on them. But the Amazon interface is vastly different on Roku oposed to a Smart TV never mind Fire TV itself. Also I have found that other apps do not work the same on Roku against Amazon Fire, much like the ITV hub, where if you have a "plus" subscription you can't use that on Roku, but works on Fire TV. 

What Now TV need to do (and Sky) is accept defeat like with Netflix that not every household only has 1 subscription. Whereas I have Now TV, Netflix, Amazon, DisneyLife, WWE Network. The problem I have is when I have to travel for work, I would need to take my Amazon Fire and Roku stick if I wanted to have all my subscriptions with me to watch on the hotel TV. 

As BT has added Amazon onto its Youview box and with Now TV coming, Sky (and Now TV) surely now MUST allow Amazon onto Sky Q and Now TV smart devices as well as allow Now TV onto Amazon Fire TV devices. 

Lets face it, its not like Now TV will lose subscribers. If anything they might gain a few due to their compatible device list being more comprehensive.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help