cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

White nowtv box to nowtv stick

Hi,

ive just received an email informing me that the white boxes are becoming extinct and replaced by the new nowtv stick.

Although youve kindly offered me a free replacement im still slightly uhappy as currently i have 3 white boxes where at least two of them my children use everynight to watch kids boxsets (2 boys in one room, one girl in another) at the same time. I just dont see why i should have to fork out nearly £50 for two more nowtv sticks. I have been a customer for few years. 

i look forward to a response. 

56 REPLIES 56
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No need to replace your Panasonic 1080p Full HD or even if you owned a Panasonic 720p HD Ready Spec plasma television where they would both work perfectly fine with the NowTV Stick (assuming you have a decent WiFi reception where the television would be located in the Home).

With regards to HDMI to VGA or Composite or SCART converter boxes, just be aware some are a little flaky in operation and may cause HDMI HDCP error messages or audio lip sync problems.

If you can find a reliable HDMI converter box that can pass the NowTV Stick  HDMI digital signal cleanly through it then there is no reason it will not work with your 480p SD Plasma TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi again @schnapps 

Unfortunately, my Panasonic plasma is neither Full HD nor HD Ready ... it's PRE- HD! 

The wi-fi reception is very good. 

I've tried switching between an HD and non-HD program (on BBC), they both play okay and look exactly the same (but, obviously, it's not in HD).

The possible error messages & lip sync problems sound less promising! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sorry i missed read your post and thought you owned two Panasonic Plasmas TV's (one 1080p and the second 480p SD).

Where the second 480p SD TV was using the White NowTV box.

If you can find a correct spec HDMI converter box and it's reliable, then it should work OK with the pre HD  plasma television, though you are only getting 480p signal out of the converter box, where the Stick can max out at 1080p (720p on NowTV streaming service or 1080p with the NowTV HD Boost Pass) if connected to a higher resolution television.

Anyway will leave it to you to do your research and find the best solution on using the NowTV Stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Well, I've got about a month to sort something out, before they shut the white boxes down. 

Thanks again for all your helpful advice, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So if mines a black now tv box will that work. And also if you don’t do updates will white box not woRk still?. Am I being thick?..

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Black NowTV Boxes will run fine has normal.

Where the NowTV White Boxes will stop working totally after the 8th of October 2020.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I won’t have anything on white box.... no radio .. nothing... it’s just it’s grandkids one .... they watch you tube on it ... never mind ... thank you

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From what i have been told NowTV will be switching off the White version of their boxes completely on the 6th of October 2020.

So you won't have access to any of the third party Apps off the White Boxes after the above date.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Black NowTV Boxes will run fine has normal.

Where the NowTV White Boxes will stop working totally after the 8th of October 2020.

Sorry got the above date wrong, where it's the 6th of October these white boxes will cease to work 😠.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPDATE: So, received my new Now TV Smart Stick, bought myself an HDMI to RCA converter from Amazon (£16), connected everything up, registered new device on my account ... and was watching tv as usual last night! 

The Homepage / menus look a little different, but I'll soon get used to that. 

... my only (slight) concern is that both the Smart Stick and the Converter got quite hot (apparently this is normal (?), as they both need to be connected to the mains while in use), but so long as they don't over-heat, everything seems good! 

So, to anyone out there with an old white box, and a tv that doesn't have HDMI, don't worry, it is possible to get the replacement stick to work with your existing equipment.