cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

White nowtv box to nowtv stick

Hi,

ive just received an email informing me that the white boxes are becoming extinct and replaced by the new nowtv stick.

Although youve kindly offered me a free replacement im still slightly uhappy as currently i have 3 white boxes where at least two of them my children use everynight to watch kids boxsets (2 boys in one room, one girl in another) at the same time. I just dont see why i should have to fork out nearly £50 for two more nowtv sticks. I have been a customer for few years. 

i look forward to a response. 

56 REPLIES 56
ukbobboy
Legend

To all White Box Users

You will find a whole range of Scart to HDMI connectors and cables on this Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=scart+to+hdmi+cable&crid=5CC2O44TDVHV&sprefix=scart%2Caps%2C194&ref=nb_...

UK Bob

PS: @Anonymous User  I think you meant Scart when you wrote start.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It was quite obviously an autocorrect. Why does everyone online have to be
so damn picky and rude.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

THW

First, I meant no rudeness to you when I pointed out that small spelling mistake, my main thought was that a lot of white box owners are users with very little technical knowledge and so may have been confused.

Besides I have made silly spelling mistakes myself and so not one to start throwing stones.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have received the email today also (free unit) but it wont let me process, keeps saying payment pin is incorrect??

I also have 2 white boxes and can't contact them by 'chat' facility or email.  

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

The offical line on white box replacement sticks is this: If a user’s primary device is a white box, they’ll be offered a stick via email. If, however, their primary device isn’t a white box, then they’ll be informed about the stick, and probably (Almost certainly) offered one at a reduced price.

However, if you don’t have any hdmi ports on your tv, then I don’t know what can be done. Maybe you can find a cheap hdmi to composite adapter. Certainly hdmi to vga adapters exist.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Mark_Weinreb 

My white box is currently connected to the (separate) tuner for my plasma screen, via VGA, so hopefully an HDMI to VGA adaptor should solve the problem. Thanks.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Don’t forget that as both the hdmi to vga adapter and the Now TV stick have male hdmi connectors, you’ll also need an F-to-F hdmi connector.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Mark_Weinreb 

Yes, that had occurred to me, too. I think I should be able to get a female HDMI to male VGA, but if not then yes, a F-toF adaptor. Thanks again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Also don't forget that a HDMI to VGA converter needs to have some sort of Audio out to your television, plus the converter box needs to be HDCP 1.4 compatible.

Personally if it was me and money is tight i would look at places like Gumtree, Shpock, FreeAds where there are some cracking second hand deals around for high end 1080p TV's where people are virtually given them away cheaply because they want the latest and greatest 4K HDR TV's.

I have two old Panasonic Plasmas (one 720p and the other 1080p) and they both show a better picture on SD & HD content compared to my two mid range 4K Televisions in the house.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Many thanks for your response. 

My plasma is also an old Panasonic (1080p, I think), great picture, so I'd rather not replace it, if possible. 

Currently, I have AV-out (from white box) connected to AV-in, on the front of the tuner, the Video Camera input / red, yellow, white (RCA?) ... picture & sound works fine. 

I'll have to research "HDCP 1.4 compatible", before I buy an adaptor. 

(also, my plasma is very old, pre-HD, is that going to be a problem with the NowTV stick?)