cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

What is the Device's Name?

Dear Forum Members

I have, what may seem, a silly question to ask but before I do I would just like to explain what I am getting at.

If I wanted a modem, a freeview box, a tablet or even a smart phone then all who are reading this post would know what I wanted, you would not know the make or model but you would know what "device" I was after.

However, if I wanted something like a Now TV Box, a Roku or even a WD TV Media Player, but not specifically, then what device would I ask for?

For example, would you call them "Media Players", that could be confused with software media players (VLC, WMP, etc) or any other item that could play videos and music (such as an xbox or play station).   They are not "set top boxes" even though they are designed to work with TVs they do not/cannot sit on the top of modern TVs.

May be I am confusing myself with this but it could be possible there is a "device" name these boxes that allow our TVs to receive and display Internet Channels.

UK Bob

11 REPLIES 11
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy, it is also referred to as a smart TV box on the Curry's website. Tesco however call it a media streamer, though to me that is in accurate description for most users.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

I just googled "Smart TV Box" and various TV boxes came up plus the term "Media Streamers".

I guess there is no right or wrong term but there should be something less open to misinterpretation.

UK Bob