cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

What is the Device's Name?

Dear Forum Members

I have, what may seem, a silly question to ask but before I do I would just like to explain what I am getting at.

If I wanted a modem, a freeview box, a tablet or even a smart phone then all who are reading this post would know what I wanted, you would not know the make or model but you would know what "device" I was after.

However, if I wanted something like a Now TV Box, a Roku or even a WD TV Media Player, but not specifically, then what device would I ask for?

For example, would you call them "Media Players", that could be confused with software media players (VLC, WMP, etc) or any other item that could play videos and music (such as an xbox or play station).   They are not "set top boxes" even though they are designed to work with TVs they do not/cannot sit on the top of modern TVs.

May be I am confusing myself with this but it could be possible there is a "device" name these boxes that allow our TVs to receive and display Internet Channels.

UK Bob

11 REPLIES 11
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Dear Forum Members

I have, what may seem, a silly question to ask but before I do I would just like to explain what I am getting at.

If I wanted a modem, a freeview box, a tablet or even a smart phone then all who are reading this post would know what I wanted, you would not know the make or model but you would know what "device" I was after.

However, if I wanted something like a Now TV Box, a Roku or even a WD TV Media Player, but not specifically, then what device would I ask for?

For example, would you call them "Media Players", that could be confused with software media players (VLC, WMP, etc) or any other item that could play videos and music (such as an xbox or play station).   They are not "set top boxes" even though they are designed to work with TVs they do not/cannot sit on the top of modern TVs.

May be I am confusing myself with this but it could be possible there is a "device" name these boxes that allow our TVs to receive and display Internet Channels.

UK Bob

Hi @ukbobboy

I do know what you mean. It can be a bit confusing sometimes. Actually a Roku/nowTV box or WD media player can be referred to as a set-top box, but they are more commonly referred to as "media streamers" as they stream media from an Internet connection. If you look on the now TV forum Roku is actually in the set-top box section.

Hope that clears things up a bitSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy that's a good question!

I'd agree that in general you'd probably refer to them as media streamers/streaming boxes, but an official term just hasn't been coined yet. I guess one will at some point, although the most popular devices all have their own strong brands, so it's possible people will just always refer to them instead.

Thanks,

Tom

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi commanda6

Thanks for your reply, which I found interesting and straight forward.

However, even though you and I could quite happily talk about "media streamers" or even "set top boxes" with complete understanding, but could I walk into my local "Currys" and ask for a media streamer and be understood?

Well I guess you know the answer to that one, I would get a blank stare looking back at me.

You see, the problem is not with people "in the know", like both of us, it is with people out there being conned into believing they're buying something specific when they are actually gettting something else, i.e. buying a freeview box but getting a Now TV box instead.

I guess what I am saying is that because we don't have a "well known recognised name" for our "Internet to TV boxes" then most people are going to be confused about what these boxes actually do.

UK Bob 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi commanda6

Thanks for your reply, which I found interesting and straight forward.

However, even though you and I could quite happily talk about "media streamers" or even "set top boxes" with complete understanding, but could I walk into my local "Currys" and ask for a media streamer and be understood?

Well I guess you know the answer to that one, I would get a blank stare looking back at me.

UK Bob 

Hi @Anonymous User and @ukbobboy

There is a comment there somewhere about the general competence of Currys/PC World, but I'm not going to go there Smiley LOL

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Legend 5
Legend 5

On Argos the boxes come under smart TV boxes.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi 4268

Smart TV Box sounds right, just like the name "Smart Phone", which tells you what the device does can do without adding fictitious expectations.

Yes, from now on our Now TV Box should be given the device name of "Smart TV Box".

I wonder if a forum moderate could organise a vote on the name?

UK Bob

Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I am sure Now did advertise itself as smart TV.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
BicBasher
Elite

Smart TV box is a good name.   I've called them media streaming boxes also.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi 4268 & BicBasher

Thanks for your replies and I would just like to add some additional thoughts.

You know 4268, I remember the saying slightly differently, i.e. turn your TV into a Smart TV. However, I could be wrong but either way it would not affect the idea of an overall new device name.

BB, I too used the name "Media Streaming Boxes" but apart from a select few and those of us that use this forum who else would know what a "media streamer" was?

And guys that's why I started this thread, so that we could have a simple, readily understandable name that could not have fictitious/erroneous features added it (by unscrupulous sales staff).

Just hope the name of  "Smart TV Box" gains some traction.

UK Bob