cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyB
Legend

What do the options under the three vertical dots mean?

On the top right of every posting is a set of three vertical dots that opens with seven options (below Edit Message, if that is there) when you click or tap it.

What do the first four of those mean and/or how do they work? I can’t figure them out.

And I know what a Bookmark is, but if I bookmark a post, what happens? Where does the bookmark live, and how do I see what I have bookmarked?

I think the last three are pretty self-explanatory.

An associated question, it it isn’t answered by bookmarking, is can I pick up a link to any posting, and if so how, so I can refer a poster back to it when (s)he has asked an identical question to one I have already answered? I’ve done that twice tonight, the slow way, and I’d like to streamline the procedure.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Mark as New marks a post you’ve read as unread, similar to it’s use in email, although the way the forum distinguishes between read and unread threads is subtle and a little buggy at the moment so I doubt it is something worth bothering with for frequent posters. 

Bookmark does what it says on the tin, and bookmarks are found in your User>My Subscriptions page (click avatar and choose My Subscriptions) 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:bookmark-subscriptions

Subscribe subscribes you to the particular thread, so that you receive an email of any replies to that thread. Again these can be managed on the My Subscriptions page.

Permalink is a direct link URL to that particular post rather than to the thread/page of a thread as a whole. You can then use that URL to direct someone to the specific post, which is useful in a very long thread, or one that has gone off-topic (clicking permalink will open up the URL so you’d need to then copy the URL from the browser address bar and paste this into a reply, or you can right click the Permalink option and copy the URL without leaving the page you are on)

As for your query about referring a user to a specific post, you can use the permalink as mentioned above, although if you are referring someone to a post in the same thread you are already in it might be easier to use the quote facility as it doesn’t then require the user jumping off into a different part of the thread, and you can edit the quote to focus in on exactly the part you are interested in. Quote only works within the same thread, so if you want to refer someone to a post in a different thread, use the permalink instead (or cobble together a bit of HTML if you are that way inclined). 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Mark as New marks a post you’ve read as unread, similar to it’s use in email, although the way the forum distinguishes between read and unread threads is subtle and a little buggy at the moment so I doubt it is something worth bothering with for frequent posters. 

Bookmark does what it says on the tin, and bookmarks are found in your User>My Subscriptions page (click avatar and choose My Subscriptions) 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:bookmark-subscriptions

Subscribe subscribes you to the particular thread, so that you receive an email of any replies to that thread. Again these can be managed on the My Subscriptions page.

Permalink is a direct link URL to that particular post rather than to the thread/page of a thread as a whole. You can then use that URL to direct someone to the specific post, which is useful in a very long thread, or one that has gone off-topic (clicking permalink will open up the URL so you’d need to then copy the URL from the browser address bar and paste this into a reply, or you can right click the Permalink option and copy the URL without leaving the page you are on)

As for your query about referring a user to a specific post, you can use the permalink as mentioned above, although if you are referring someone to a post in the same thread you are already in it might be easier to use the quote facility as it doesn’t then require the user jumping off into a different part of the thread, and you can edit the quote to focus in on exactly the part you are interested in. Quote only works within the same thread, so if you want to refer someone to a post in a different thread, use the permalink instead (or cobble together a bit of HTML if you are that way inclined). 

RoyB
Legend

Many thanks @Andy 

You having explained where to look, I found a couple of bookmarks there that I had previously set, but not known where they had gone to live.

And Permalink is especially useful.  Particularly now I have found out how to right-click on this iPad Smiley Happy

Would I be right, by the way, in thinking this information isn’t documented anywhere else? I did have a good hunt round before posting, but couldn’t find anything about it anywhere I looked.

Hopefully, I have chosen a Category where your answer has the best chance of being found to help others with the same questions in the future - thanks again.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB you’re welcome. As it’s principally a support forum (few regular posters, most users just looking for an answer to a specific question and then disappearing) there’s only limited help documentation on the forum. The forum uses the popular Khoros (Lithium) platform so should be reasonably familiar if you’ve used other forums on the same platform. Other than that it’s a case of playing around and you should soon pick things up. 

You can find limited documentation here

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/About-the-Community/Site-Features/td-p/61194

PS the FAQ is generic, some of the settings on the forum have been tweaked, eg the ideas board is currently disabled.