cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unwanted device.

I have recently removed all devices which have either not been used for a while or are being used unknown to me. To stop other unwanted people from using my account, I filledd the two available slots with my own devices. If the unwanted person chose to use my account tonight would they be able to after I have removed their device, filled all available slots and changed my password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sounds like you’ve done the right things. 

That should stop other people somehow getting access to your passes.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sounds like you’ve done the right things. 

That should stop other people somehow getting access to your passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, I do hope so as it is someone I do not want using my account anymore haha.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Haha don’t worry too much about it. You’ve done the right thing, plus done some digging on the site and even “Now” help tells you to do what you’ve done.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/managing-my-devices

Shared your NOW TV details with someone, but no longer want them to use your account? Removing their device from your device list won't prevent them from using it again. Instead, you'll need to change your password, then force a logout for all devices. Next time that person tries to watch, they'll need to sign in with your new password (which they won't know).

You'll need to sign back in on all your devices next time you watch, too.

Follow the steps here to reset your password, and see the instructions on how to secure your account towards the bottom of the article.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008  yeah I saw that earlier, but I couldn't work out how to log out of all devices so I'm just hoping what I have done so far will work.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has happened to me too. I complained to NOW but it was shrugged off “oh these things happen”. 
Ive never given out my password or details.

There is a unsettling ease of access to the users privacy and account details to other people.

Even with password changes the devices remain, why remove ability to delete unwanted accounts?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There are several considerations here.

You never have been able to remove your account, GDPR notwithstanding; exactly how Now determine if you have already had a free trial or not, to prevent you taking these indefinitely, is a closely guarded secret, but the same address, card number, IP address and so on may well figure in this, so they want to preserve these details.

But what you are talking about here is actually device removal. Now’s thinking was that once they removed the device limit and the number of swaps per month limit, you wouldn’t need to maintain or alter your device list at all, so they made it read only.

This was incorrect, as I think Now themselves now realise, and I hope we will see a change here soon; we still need to be able to remove devices, for circumstances like yours, and to amend device names, by room name say, so I can tell my four Roku devices and two LG TVs apart.

As regards leaking your account details, and assuming you exercise good password protection anyway, here are a couple of ways of handing out the ability to use your account to others that do not involve telling them your account number or password:-

(i) you dispose of a device with your Now account still active on it. You should factory reset any device that had this, or indeed any other subscription, on it before disposing of it, even a TV, and even to landfill, and most certainly an old Now box going to a charity shop;

(ii) you visit a friend, family or hotel and log in and use your Now account, and don’t log out again afterwards.

There may be others, such as losing an active device or having it stolen, where you don’t get the option to log it out.

But none of these issues expose your password; they just allow the continued use of your account, and don’t expose much more than your account number. On devices where your full account details reside, such as a laptop, phone or iPad, there is always the need to log in afresh each time you access these details. And even if you let these devices use default logins, there is always password or PIN protection on first re-entry to the device. Or should be. Do you have this?

But continued use of a device with an active Now account on it is possible, even if you change your password, unless and until you do a Forced Logout, as described above. This will stop these devices being used any more, but will not, as you note, remove them from your device list.

The other thing you need, preferably on day one of Now usage, is to set a Payment PIN. Since if your account is leaked, you don’t just have the problem of unauthorised use, you have the problem of unauthorised Pass purchase, which happens just by the unauthorised user starting a movie, say, when you don’t have an existing Cinema pass.

The big new annoyance with an unauthorised device, now the Boostless limit on simultaneous devices has dropped to 1, is that such a user can prevent your own legitimate use of your account while they are using it 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.