cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Well you have got the box for £15 or so.  The objective of the box is to access NOW TV & catch up services.  The Roku 3 costs considerably more.....

Legend 5
Legend 5

On the plus side, the USB port allows you to charge a device. Handy if you are charging other devices and/ or all plugs are in use.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all new to this now tv- I successfully side loaded the USB mod last night(thanks to this forum) but want to add plex- no I need to insert an SD card to ut it on or should it fit? It seemed it would only take the one app(USB)

any links to show me just what I can get from plex as I not fully aware

thanks

Legend 5
Legend 5
You can only side load one app apparently. The SD slot is disabled.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ha, oh yeah, sorry. I already have Plex installed unfortunately. It's okay, I'm not that fussed, you don't have a Now TV box to then start adding media to it - or I don't anyway.

Thanks for the reply!
ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

Does anyone know, or have the faintest idea, if Now TV are going to update the current black box so that it's USB and SD ports are enabled?

I would have thought that these ports would have been enabled when they updated the O/S from 6.2 to 7.0, but it seems not.

Any news about the black boxes future would be welcomed.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Does anyone know, or have the faintest idea, if Now TV are going to update the current black box so that it's USB and SD ports are enabled?

Given that the NOW TV (black) box is a very heavily subsidised Roku 3 box, unless these ports can be utilised in some way to enhance the NOW TV service, I doubt they'll be enabled for general use.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

Given that the NOW TV (black) box is a very heavily subsidised Roku 3 box, unless these ports can be utilised in some way to enhance the NOW TV service, I doubt they'll be enabled for general use.

Hi @SeeMoreDigital @ukbobboy 

Now TV website pretty much states that the USB port and microSD card slot are disabled. The phrase of a use is "not currently for use"  they also say they were left on the box in case they cand be used for potential future functionality. So that's a roundabout way of saying they might enable it in future, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will.

box2_specs.jpg

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @SeeMoreDigital

Well Guys

You are both saying the ports are there but don't hold your breath waiting for them to be activated.

That's just     

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@commanda6 @SeeMoreDigital

Well Guys

You are both saying the ports are there but don't hold your breath waiting for them to be activated.

That's just     

UK Bob

@ukbobboy , so you're saying we are as cold as ice Smiley LOL 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.