cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
Anonymous User
Not applicable

thank you so much for your help, ive managed to get it working!!

excusing my ignorance, but im led to believe that the micro sd slot cant be used for watching videos etc like the usb slot?

thanks again for the help 🙂

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

You can't play media files stored on a SD card. But after installing the appropriate third-party software you will be able to play media files via USB. I currently have it installed myself.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

what is the name of the app pls? I have been looking for it and couldn't find any. Thanks!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

crassac wrote:

what is the name of the app pls? I have been looking for it and couldn't find any. Thanks!

The software is called 'usbplayer.zip' which can be downloded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/rokusdkexamples/files/usbplayer.zip/download

This is what Artesea wrote about his custom app: -

"So I decided to sit down and work out how to write my own custom Roku Channel trying to test the USB capabilities of the new NOW TV Box. I've glanced at Brightscript before so didn't think it would be too hard. After 5 minutes looking at the developer docs I found this sample.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| usbplayer | Plays media files from the USB drive, demonstrating the use of USB, roFileSystem, and roRegEx |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after downloading it I realised that that should be enough and that I shouldn't need to write any actual code, sideloaded the ZIP through the Dev mode and hey-presto MP4s playing directly from my USB stick.

The interface is low quality, but it's sample code to show what could be done. Hopefully NOW TV will just enable the Roku Streaming Channel for us anyway.

To access Dev mode if you haven't already done it before. Using the remote press
Home x3, Up x2, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right
You will be then asked to Enable installer and restart.
The first time you do this either nothing will happen or the box will reboot, however you need to repeat the button press again.
This time after selecting Enable installer and restart you'll be prompted to provide a password, after a restart you should be able to access the box via a web browser by entering the IP address in to your address bar.
You'll be prompted for the username rokudev and the password you set up before the reboot"

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip to get USB to work. I tried this and works well. The only downside is I have to uninstall Plex Classic everytime I want to use the usbplayer.

I agree the Roku UPnP media player app would be really sensible if NowTV put it on it's store. It would not interfere with the commercial side of the product. But same could be said for Plex and I wish I could get the more recent Plex app on the NowTV system.

Hey-ho this is me only dreaming!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread but I'm guessing that you can't just simply connect and play content from a SD card/USB device from these new boxes?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread but I'm guessing that you can't just simply connect and play content from a SD card/USB device from these new boxes?

No. You need to install some software too. As mentioned in the previous posts Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the MicroSD card is only used for channel storage.  There have been suggestions it may also be used as a cache for channels, but you definitely can't play media from it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sky / NowTV definitely need to amend that "tech specs" section, it's blatent false advertising. I'm sure somebody just copied and pasted from the Roku 3 specs or something, but it's no excuse. I recomended the new box to two family members on the basis of it being able to play mp4 / mkv. Yes sure I can sideload a Roku USB app for them, but it's still a hassle that could have been avoided.

I agree and whilst the solution posted on here is a welcome work around, the sideloaded app is very basic I'd have happily paid a few more pounds for a feature rich version that at least supported thumbnails.

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi gonzodagreat

After reading the "tech specs" of the new NowTV black box I must agree that the specs are misleading.

For example, after reading the specs, I would expect that I could play films/videos from a USB thumb or external hard drive. Likewise, I would expect to be able to save to and read from an SD memory card installed in the SD slot.

However, some forum members feel it's OK to sideload drivers for these ports, I do not because I wholehearted believe as these ports do not work then the product is incomplete.  Although I cannot say that the new box is "not fit for purpose", I can say that I do not intend to buy it until all its' functions are working.

BTW, can you still sideload Plex if you've already sideloaded the USB driver?

UK Bob