cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

The Three Laws

Dear Forum Members

I have over the years come to believe in the following three laws, especially when it comes to computers and computer related equipment.

1) KISS, better known as Keep It Simple Stupid.  Simply put, the more complicated you make your computer set-up the more chances you have of something vital, or a range thereof, but unknown things going wrong which will be very difficult to find and put right.

2) If it isn't broken then don't fix it.  This comes under the heading of unnecessary tinkering, usually done for curiosity purposes only. 

3) Sod's Law. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong. This Law can be further extended by adding:

a) When you least expect it.

and

b) When the person who can fix the problem is unavailable.

Please note, any other laws that I have missed or not thought of will be welcomed.

UK Bob

14 REPLIES 14
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Law number 4:

Hammers don't solve anything. Smiley Happy

I tried to fix my old iPhone once and ended up taking a hammer to it to put it out of its misery as I gave up.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Oh no you don't, that's not a new lawSmiley Very Happy

You've just violated laws 3 (Sod's Law: Whatever can go wrong.....) & 2 (If it isn't broken......etc.)

And using a hammer is "unnecessary tinkering", also in violation of law number 2.  Smiley Very Happy

C'mon Casey, gimme a new law.Smiley Tongue

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Those anger management classes didn't work then? 😉

You do realise the machines will exact a sweet revenge on you once Skynet reaches operational strength? I'm playing it safe and always tell my NOW TV Box what a good box it's been whilst giving it a goodnight pat on the head ... some nights I can hear it whirr in gratitude .... 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy no they didn't work! Woman Mad

After watching genysis, I'm convinced Apple will take over one day!

My NOW box cuddles up to her boyfriend Mr DVD player at night! Smiley Very Happy

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 ... But I bet they're plotting against you behind your back! Robot tongue

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Put it this way, they didn't like me when I had a month of Prime Video at Christmas so it wouldn't surprise me if they were up to something. Plus there is Mrs WiiU on the other side plotting against me!

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993, @Andy

You guys have got it all wrong, it's the wi-fi Robot LOL , it's all in the wi-fi.

For example, who is my NAS talking to every night between mid-night and 2am, why does my PC wink every so often and why is my modem router never at rest.

Robot Mad I thought I was loosing my marbles but now I see it's a machine conspiracy, we're doomed (I tell you), all doomed.  Robot Mad

Mad Rant Over.

I use the first law "KISS" to placate my machines, that way they won't rebel or give me a hard time, plus I (almost) never mess around with the second law, i.e. if it ain't broke....etc., that way my machines don't hate me because I don't push them to their limits and I always keep the third law in mind, SOD's (aka Murphy's).

But I still got caught out, let me tell you a sad but true story:

A prime example of  SOD's, my  tumble dryer broke down a few days before Christmas, no biggie I thought, until two days later my washing machine decided to also break down in sympathy with my dryer. Both machines breaking down within two days of each other has never happened before and right before Christmas as well, when I could not get the engineers in.

Prime SOD's or a rebellion? Please tell.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I get it I think! Smiley Very Happy

Can lady karma fit into these rules at all? I believe in her and this seems like something she does. Smiley Wink

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

You know, I don't think I believe in Karma (aka Natural Justice) because if it did all those guys that crippled the world's economy a few years back would not have been able to sail off into the sunset.

SODs, etc., only affects ordinary working Joes.

Right now, I'm a retired Joe who has just had his street hit by a power cut, which started at approx. 10.40am and ended just after noon, this isn't Karma it's SODs again.

Casey, thinking about it (and not being too cynical), Karma should exist because it would make life a little bit better.

Smiley IndifferentSmiley Very HappySmiley Wink

UK Bob