cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Suggest Your Ideas for NOW TV Here!!!

This dedicated thread is for users to suggest ways to improve the NOW TV service that aren’t already in the Ideas Board.

Idea.png

Any ideas for improving NOW TV are welcome, and if the NOW TV Team especially like any of the ideas and think they could work you may be lucky and have your idea moved into the Ideas Board for others to vote on it. 

Please reply to this post with any ideas you have, and if you like any of the ideas do reply and let us know, and give them thanks if you agree.

Thanks to @Anonymous User for requesting this thread.

63 REPLIES 63
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Andy

Good point about IR won't work for the voice commands which thinking about it now does make obvious sense Smiley Happy.

What about an optional remote that works over WiFi for smart box Freeview owners ?

Would this be practically possible, where the smart box works over WiFi similar to how the Roku remote App works  ?

If that's a no go, why can't NowTV develop their own Remote Control App for mobile devices in conjunction with Roku to incorporate a voice search that includes switching Freeview channels in the smart box EPG ?

Out of curisoity how does the TCL Roku powered televisions work over in the US where owners use the over the air TV EPG on the Roku style remote (do they like us, use the directional buttons on the remote or is there is a quicker method on the Roku powered TV's) ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Pretty sure the smart box doesn't have the ability (or it's not currently enabled)  to use wifi-direct (you'd need to verify as my box is in a cupboard) so I would have thought a wifi remote was out.

As for controlling Freeview channels via voice I don't know enough about the sort of calls it can make, @Anonymous User would be the person to ask.

No idea at all about Roku TVs.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My Smartbox is in the garage and without Freeview at my current address unlikely to come out. I though there was a comand to send to change the channel, although it may have required a new version of the firmware. Something which the boxes should have but not something I ever got around to testing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

I've found a Roku TLC tv manual here https://support.tclusa.com/43481-p6-series/264177 if it helps.

From it I've extracted this

Watching Antenna TV channels Select the Antenna TV tile in the Home screen. Your TV remembers the last channel you watched and starts with that channel playing. Changing channels To change channels, you can do any of the following: • Press the UP arrow to change to the next higher channel. • Press the DOWN arrow to change to the next lower channel. • Press the LEFT arrow to display the channel list (in non-connected mode) or Smart Guide (in connected mode), and then press the arrow keys to select the channel or show you want to watch. Press REWIND and FAST FORWARD to move through the list one page at a time. When you’ve highlighted the channel or show you want to watch, press OK. (If you decide you don’t want to change channels, press the BACK button).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for finding the time to check out the TCL Roku powered TV manual, where it looks like it's the same tedious method that us smart box owners use to navigate around the Freeview guide Smiley Mad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for finding the time to check out the TCL Roku powered TV manual, where it looks like it's the same tedious method that us smart box owners use to navigate around the Freeview guide Smiley Mad

You're welcome and yes it looks like they've put zero effort into improving navigation around the epg on their TVs.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Tony-D

I have a suggestion for the ideas board, if there is no software or hardware restriction reason why this can not be achieved.

Would NowTV consider offering in the Sky Accessories Store has an optional extra an Infra Red version of your smart stick remote controller for use on the smart (Freeview) box.

This would use all the same button features like the smart stick, including the four quick access keys and voice search command button.

I would also like to see the voice search button integrated to work with the Freeview now and next EPG, where for example you said into the RC mic BBC One Live, where it would then take you directly to the channel on the EPG or even better still start playing the channel live (thus saving time and hassle scrolling up and down the TV channels on the current version of the smart box remote controller to reach the channel you want to watch).

NowTV could also implement this also on the NowTV live Entertainment, Cinema, Kids and Sports channels EPG, by saying into the search mic for example Sky One Live (which could also be used with the smart stick).

I am sure a lot of nowtv smart (Freeview) box owners would welcome this Smiley Happy

@schnapps I'll defs have a word with some of the guys and check if it is possible. Unless its a Roku Software problem. I'll check it out and get back to you if anyone gets back to me 😕

Anonymous User
Not applicable

More music TV !!

BoxPlus app isn't sufficient

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I do tend to agree, where i wish MTV would go back to its original core roots of Music Television with maybe with a more interactive option where you could pick the music video genre of your choice Smiley Happy

On my nowtv boxes, apart from the Box Plus App, i mainly use the Vevo App and YouTube App where YouTube will pick up on your taste of music and create music channels that you maybe interested in watching.

I have got an affinity to 90's and early 2000's dance club classic music, where i like to reminisce the good old days for me and YouTube is my go to App for music videos (the downside with YouTube is a lot of videos have been recorded on old VHS and the picture is a bit ropey, where i am surprised the music studio's haven't insisted that YouTube take down more of the music videos from their site due to breach of copyright).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

In this day and age, youtube is brilliant as it has pretty much every song going. Spotify is good too.

It would be cool if we could at least have some Free-To-View ( Freesat ) music channels like Channel AKA/Clubland etc