cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Spam call???

Hi, I keep getting calls to my landline it's an automated message saying "your internet provider has been trying to get in touch with you about your internet service as it will be cut off in two days because of payment issues. Press one or two to speak about it. "

My payments are up to date and I have no messages on my account about such issue. Is this a scam as they keep calling and I just put the phone down. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The clue is them saying ‘your internet provider’.

If this was real, your ISP would announce themselves by name.

If indeed they ever used the phone for this purpose.

I’ve always wondered what the payload in these calls is, though, and you are the first person to mention that ‘press one or two’. The payload will come if you do that, so be glad you didn’t.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You are not alone with regards to this and it has been talked about also on these two threads.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/phone-call-re-hacking/m-p/510335#M15361 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/Worrying-call-received/m-p/508251 

Seems like a phone scam to me and just ignore it.

However if you a worried and want reassurances from NowTV  (assuming you are a NowTV Broadband customer) then you can call them by either going to My Account > Orders & Appointments (click the arrow next to your live date to see the telephone number to call) or go to My Account > Broadband & Calls and click on the moving home section of the page to see the NowTV Broadband telephone number to phone. @

There is also a help topic linked below on how to deal with unwanted nuisance phone calls.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/dealing-with-nuisance-phone-calls 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you @schnapps  just a bit worrying no one has my landline number I've unplugged it now lol

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The clue is them saying ‘your internet provider’.

If this was real, your ISP would announce themselves by name.

If indeed they ever used the phone for this purpose.

I’ve always wondered what the payload in these calls is, though, and you are the first person to mention that ‘press one or two’. The payload will come if you do that, so be glad you didn’t.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @RoyB  I thought it seemed dodgy just worried me that's all

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thank you for the Accept. 99% of the way now.... 😛

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Guys

You know, although I can handle these spam calls I am fed up to the back teeth of constantly getting them.

So, after reading this thread, I did a google search and found this:

BT Phone with Call Blocker.jpg

A phone with a built in call blocker, if this thing passes my "due diligence" checks then I will be very much inclined to order it.

For anyone else that's interested, here is the URL:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Blocker-Corded-Telephone-White/dp/B01A953YIK?pf_rd_p=d79debb4-4345-4c84-ba3c-629cad270cf9&pd_rd_wg=UfsOv&pf_rd_r=4DP9D4QMS7Z3G440NVPS&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=mDiUU&pd_rd_r=96ee7c69-6636-44ce-870d-f93909363729 

UK Bob

PS. There are certain call services that must be supplied by your ISP/telecom provider for this phone to be fully functional.

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User @schnapps 

These devices just need Caller Display, which is included with NowTV Broadband, though other providers may charge for it.

It’s always a mystery to me, though, how the makers of these things can get it so nearly right, and yet so wrong.

My wife’s sister withholds her number as a matter of course, and needs reminding to use the un-withhold code when ringing us. This phone ought to respond to such numbers by explaining that it doesn’t accept withholding, and would they like to uncloak and call again? It doesn’t.

And for the phone, callers come in 3 classes - whitelisted, blacklisted, and undetermined. But in the ‘answerphone’ blocking mode, it sends both blacklisted and undetermined calls to the answerphone. Why send the blacklisted ones there? You should be able to keep those completely blocked, no matter what.

Also, I would want to build up my blocklist slowly; on this phone though, everyone you don’t whitelist at first falls into undetermined. Which is fine, but I would like to have the option to have undetermined callers come straight through unchallenged, and then allocate them on the fly to whitelist or blacklist, rather than having to start by typing about 200 numbers into the phone as my initial whitelist.

Those are just three things that I immediately noticed which would make me look at other phones that block, rather than this one; there may be more....