cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slowest broadband ever?

Hi, Just did a broadband speed test (speedtest.net), and had a reading of  1.36 Mbs.

I've signed up for the Super Fibre service, with a stated average speed of 63 Mbs.

Anybody think I'm being short changed?

I'm wondering if I've made a mistake by choosing NOW Broadband.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It happens because you are, metaphorically, sawing off the branch you are sitting on.

If you change your SSID and password for 2.4Ghz on a device connected by 2.4Ghz wifi then it will suddenly no longer see the connection it had before, as it is still looking for the old details, and so boom, down you go. And the router reverts to the old details (thankfully in this case) because you weren’t there to confirm and save the changes.

But you can change the 5Ghz details, on that device, because you aren’t sitting on the 5Ghz ‘branch’.

So the trick is either to make the changes on a wired device, or to set up the 5Ghz only, then switch your wifi device to be using that, if it supports it. And then when you go back into the hub to change the 2.4Ghz details, all will be well, as you are sitting on the 5Ghz ‘branch’ this time.

Of course, when I say ‘all will be well’, you will of course have to reconfigure every WiFi device you have, including the one you just used, for the new 2.4Ghz and 5GHz details. Teach them all both, if they support both, then they, or you, can choose which is best for each of them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Is this on Wi-fi or Ethernet?

A massive fluctuation of speed will happen for the next 7 days until the connection settles down.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello gavs82008,

Thanks for the reply. It was an Ethernet speed test (not Wi-fi), and no VPN slowing things down.

Just a straightforward, wired connection, speed test. I did a few other tests just to check, and they were all around 1 - 2 Mbs download speed. I've been with NOW Broadband for about 3 weeks now.

I have had speeds of about 20 Mbps, but nothing this low before.

Thanks again.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Assuming you are connected directly into the router with the enthernet?

Might sound daft as you most likely have, but you tried the old reboot for the router?

This link will take you to a line check to see the status of your line. Could be a fault.

https://account.nowtv.com/check-service-status/

Could be worth calling the broadband team to see if there is anything they can do.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/my-broadband-or-calls-arent-working-as-expected

Call us

NOW Broadband customers can get in touch anytime between 8am–11pm.

Call us 0330 041 2480

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Something doesn't look right to me, where possibly the BT Openreach Engineer hasn't connected the correct Fibre connection on the BT cabinet, where those speeds looks more like poor standard broadband speeds.

What was the minimum guaranteed speed that you was promised when you signed up to NOW Super Fibre (not average speed).

How does this compare against the speed measured at the NOW Hub Router by undertaking a Technical Check under My Account > Broadband & Calls > Technical Checks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Did two speedtests today. First one, on Thursday morning, indicated a download speed of less than 2 Mbps, the second one, on Thursday mid-day, indicated a download speed of 28 Mbps.

28 Mbps is reasonable, but still way down on the advertised Super Fibre speed of 63 Mbps average.

I will keep checking the speed, and if it drops down to single figures again, I will reset the Hub and see if that helps.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Just did a technical check via the NOW Broadband website, and it says that my connection looks good, and give me a broadband speed of 56.2 Mbps.

I would love to have that speed! How come my actual speed is so much lower?

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The figures quoted under My Broadband account doing a Technical Check is usually quite accurate for me, when i compare it on my Television Netflix App inside the Netflix App " Get Help" > "Check your Network" function when using Ethernet on the television and no other internet devices running on the Network in the Background.

I am guessing you have already tried splitting the Network on your Hub 2 Router by following these instructions below.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

If your internet is running slow, then contact the NOW Broadband Team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Schnapps,

Thanks for the email and suggestions.

I am having problems completing the set of instructions you sent. I get down the list as far as number 5, then, as soon as I select Apply, I lose all of my internet connection. I have to press the reset button on my Hub, and that restores my connection to the internet.

Any ideas on how I can complete your list?

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Maybe try another internet browser or another device such has a smartphone, tablet, PC when following the instructions.

I used a tablet over wifi with MS Edge when changing the NOW Hub 2 webpage settings.

Perhaps if you have a PC or Laptop, try over Ethernet if you are losing the wifi.