cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky going Dishless 2018

Don’t know if this is wrong place for this topic but what will happen to NOW TV when Sky goes dishless in 2018 would they don’t NOW TV
5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That's an interesting question, where my guess would be that there will be no noticeable change in the short term future for NowTV and the service that they offer (Where in the long term, you never know what's Sky's business model plans are and what type of market opportunities there will be).

At the end of the day like any business it's all about figures on the spread sheets and most importantly the profit margins they can make or squeeze.

However, i would like to think that Sky IPTV service will have no bearing on the NowTV platform even in the long term.

Where, IMO all Sky are doing is offering more choice to potential customers who won't consider or can't for numerous reasons have at their resident property a Satellite Dish installed.

By going down the IPTV route, means Sky can offer both the Satellite & IPTV options which will operate in parallel with each other,as an alternative method of a different delivery system of getting the TV content to your home.

The Sky Satellite and Sky IPTV will still be a longer term fixed contract TV, Broadband and Telephone service, where NowTV will still offer the flexibility of Passes with no fixed contract which was what attracted me to the NowTV service in the beginning  (Hopefully nothing will change in that respect and only improvements made to the the quality & customer experience of the NowTV platform).

This is only my opinion has a NowTV customer and i suppose we will have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Out of curiosity, what's your thoughts on this subject matter ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps
I would like NowTV to stay even if sky did dishless and really Sky but slow with dishless should of thought about it few years ago look at other platforms that is IPTV you BT, Virgin Media , TalkTalk even Plusnet is doing it since 2015
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I think Now will stay, it is the TV equivalent to PAYG mobile. Also unless Sky dishless works with other broadband some folk like me would be disinclined to take it due to speed available here via the BT lines.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @4268

Hi TJ

I would hope that, when Sky goes dishless, Now TV would remain as a separate entity, governed by Sky but with it's own policies and company culture.

You see, I've had some minuscule dealings with Sky in the past, when a past ISP of mine was taken over by Sky, Sky wanted to apply a surcharge for not using Sky TV.  Although this surcharge was small I found the very idea of charging me something I didn't use was reprehensible.  And it also points to the ruthless culture that's pervasive throughout the company, i.e. extract money first, everything else is secondary.

For me, as long as Now TV remains a separate company then I shall remain a customer but if Now TV is subsumed within Sky then I'm off to pastures new.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been a keen user of Now TV for some time and I hope that it stays as a budget flexible service. Sky TV over broadband would be wise to use a similar broadcasting set up with flexibility of packages and freedom to cancel any time a customer wants but offering the full range of channels for maybe more money like £10 to £20 a month with the full range of box sets.