cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky and BT Partnership - Now TV Update for Youview

Just came across this new story on a516digital.com about the Sky and BT partnership that will bring more Now TV content to BT Youview boxes...... instead of just Cinema.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/sky-and-bt-expand-partnership.html

We already knew this was happening, but the story above tells us that the BT Youview boxes will be able to record the Now TV channels.

Having BT Youview and Now TV myself, this makes for some good news.

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Well that's very interesting. 

Wonder what is going happen with Sky Sports in terms of the lack of catch up and red button?

I know we had a survevy during the summer with the possibilty of catch up being introduced (at long last) along with individual passes for each channel (like Sky TV), 1080p, 4 streams at once and 5.1 surround sound. However since the survevy we have completely nothing since. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008

Yes, if the full gammet of Now TV is coming to BT Youview boxes and we are going to be able to record it, for sure lets do hope the Now TV picture and sound quality improves......... I'm really happy with the quality of my picture and sound with BT TV on my Youview box and I would hope the Now TV offering when it comes will be of a similar quality (and I hope BT are insisting on it).

It seems like it might all still be a few months away from happening, but lets hope it won't be too long until we get more official news.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm just hoping I can still buy my passes as I see fit and not have to buy them through BT!

If it costs extra to use NOW TV and/or you have to pay for your passes from BT every month to get the new functionality then I will stick with my LGTV/Apple TV apps and buying passes directly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm just hoping I can still buy my passes as I see fit and not have to buy them through BT!

If it costs extra to use NOW TV and/or you have to pay for your passes from BT every month to get the new functionality then I will stick with my LGTV/Apple TV apps and buying passes directly.

@Anonymous User

Like you, I would hope there is not going to be any increased costs through my BT package (it's bloomin' expensive enough) to have this access to the increased functionality of the Now TV offering on BT Youview......... it will simply stay as one of your devices on your Now TV account and you can keep buying your own Passes outwith a BT TV contract.  I'm sure when it comes BT will be including Now TV in their packages in some sort of deal, but would that be as cheap as buying our own vouchers separately????

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agreed. Because If I could afford to pay more, I would have Sky! 

Going to be interesting to see how they handle channel crossover as well. What I mean by this is, I have both a NOW TV Entertainment pass and a BT TV package called "Max HD".

Both of these "packs" have channels such as Gold, SYFY, Comedy Central, Discovery and MTV in them. Well I don't want to pay twice for them!

Perhaps they will offer a new Entertainment pass that only includes the missing channels like Sky Atlantic, Sky One and Sky Witness?

Also, it's great that they will be in the guide and recordable, but to be honest I only watch sport live and I am quite happy to watch movies and TV shows on demand. Will content be available on demand still?

Guess we have to wait and see.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My only concern centres on the fact BT will be 'retailing' NowTV passes on behalf of Sky. Does that mean when it comes to having the ability to record NowTV I will be required to pay extra for the 'priveledge' as this is obviously over and above the functionality provided by 'normal' NowTV passes? I don't think we'll get all the perks without extra financial outlay, but I could be way off base thinking that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yes, I'm wondering the same, is this magical functionality of recording Now TV Channels on my BT Youview box going to give BT more reason to take more money?????  Will be interesting to see how it will work...... although, by the time it happens I'm not sure if I'll still be a BT TV customer, continually increasing costs and continually diminishing sport portfolio is making me really consider a change!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I'm with you on considering my position as regards BT Youview. The sports rights are diminishing big time this past few months, the latest being them 'giving up' Scottish football to Sky. I'm still in contract until May and am more than likely going to be ditching some, and maybe all, of my BT contracts. I'm in the unique position of my tv/mobile/internet contracts all being up within the space of one week in May. The only entertainment channel I watch on BT TV which isn't on NowTV is Alibi and even that's only for Murdoch Mysteries (don't laugh, the wife loves it).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User

I'm with you on considering my position as regards BT Youview. The sports rights are diminishing big time this past few months, the latest being them 'giving up' Scottish football to Sky. I'm still in contract until May and am more than likely going to be ditching some, and maybe all, of my BT contracts. I'm in the unique position of my tv/mobile/internet contracts all being up within the space of one week in May. The only entertainment channel I watch on BT TV which isn't on NowTV is Alibi and even that's only for Murdoch Mysteries (don't laugh, the wife loves it).

@Anonymous User

Yes, the complete abandonment of Scottish Football (despite the well received nature of their coverage, they still low-balled their bid) may well be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back??  Paying way too much for a so-so TV selection and reduced sports, something may have to give.... I'm taking Xmas and New Year to think about what to do.  I would probably miss some stuff across History Channel and AMC Channel, but not much else...... and DVD is always there as a last resort.

I am no longer within any contract period, so I might drop them completely or I might keep BT for Fibre and Phone and drop TV/Sport (just keeping the Youview box as basic freeview recorder)..... on top of that keep my Now TV Entertainment going and maybe make more of Sky Sports Passes (as that's where a lot of BT stuff is heading)...... although, as we've talked about elsewhere on this forum, the sports picture quality does need to improve for me to spend regularly on it!!!!

Also, there is no shame in having an eclectic mix of TV viewing...... it's amazing on these forums how often the 'wife' is blamed for TV habits!!!!!