cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Re: Sky Glass heralds the end of NOW TV

@schnapps 

Sky Glass is plainly a soft launch for the Sky over Internet service, and I'm sure a set-top box version will follow fairly soon.

And despite Sky Glass seeming to be a fairly attractive proposition, there are a multitude of reasons why Sky users would prefer not to replace their TV with Sky Glass or consider it when purchasing a new TV.

Also Sky's previous attempts with hardware (other than set-top boxes) have all been a total failure, like the LG TV with Sky Digital built in, or the Sky Gnome, and most recently the Sky Soundbox!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @chai 

I have had my fingers burnt on more than one occasion when it comes to new products coming to market 😭😭😭.

Personally I won't be considering Sky Glass TV until Sky offer a Sky IP 4K streaming box where you don't need to purchase a Sky Glass TV.

For the meantime time i am happy with NOW, where i mainly watch Sky Atlantic and live Sky Sports.

Like you said, i won't be surprised somewhere down the line there will be a standalone streaming Sky IP boxes and you don't need to buy the Sky Glass television to get onto the Sky IP service.

Gordy
Mentor

Sky have already pulled the OTT service in Spain which is like Now TV. Comcast didn't want Now TV. Now TV is being gradually brought in line with Sky over IP. e.g. no more day or week passes for Sky Sports, no voucher cards in the shops. I would expect it to be rebranded or us all to be offered deals to shift over some time next year. 

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Gordy 

The Day Sports Membership is still available to purchase.

When i questioned NOW about the Week Sports Membership, they said this type of Pass was dropped to simplify things.

0 Thanks
AlexB83
Scholar 2

@Gordy 

I don't think Now tv is going anywhere in the short to medium term they literally just rebranded it a few months ago and made a number of changes, so I don't see the point of doing that if they were just going to get rid of it. The only thing that might change that is if they have a standalone Sky app or dongle which has full sky. I think whilst Sky Glass may encourage a few Now viewers to switch there will still be a high number who won't because they might not need want or can't afford a new TV or may not pass credit check etc 

lovebuguk
Scholar

LOL sky glass has it is now will be a flop haveing to buy a tv to use it ??? no thanks ill stick with the oled ive got ))) and to top it off you are in a contract  to use it ill stick with now tv.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gordy 

NOW (TV) in Spain was pulled yes, however Comcast and ViacomCBS are launching SkyShowtime in 2022 in Spain along with other countries. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
Gordy
Mentor

Yes. That was one of the problems Comcast had with the existence of NowTV. It was going to interfere with their plans to roll out services like this universally. 

0 Thanks
Gordy
Mentor

I did some digging and one of the ideas Comcast had looked at was "expanding" the Now TV platform to include ad-supported free content. SPlitting off things like Showtime so they weren't on main SKy changes, but available by separate subscription (which would be included as part of Sky subscriptions).

The real issue int he background is illegal IPTV. Now TV really does provide a simple, reliable alternative to that and its a real issue in the UK market. If you trim down NowTV then you risk more people using illegal services.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gordy 

The main issue that Comcast has with Sky is down to content. Which is the sole reason why Comcast is "adding" its US version of NOW (Peacock) into its European markets at no extra cost. 

When you think about FOX closing thanks to Disney. Then you have Paramount+ launching next year, which could very well see Comedy Central and MTV channels being removed from NOW and exclusively on Paramount+, along with Paramount+ you have Showtime content which could be on Paramount+ unless it has a lifetime deal with Sky.

And of course there is HBO which ends ends 2024.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.