cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Enapace
Expert 2

Re: Sky Glass heralds the end of NOW TV

@AlexB83 

Oh on this I agree it is a bit of annoyance having to buy a TV to get this experience and i am shocked they aren't requiring longer then a month contract for the TV services on it. I think i will getting though as my second TV and then getting a puck for my main TV. Does make you laugh though that on Sky Glass that Sky Cinema is same price as Now and Sky Sports is less. 

0 Thanks
AlexB83
Scholar 2

I do think it means that we will have to wait even longer for 4k etc to come to Now Tv though as they will really want to push people towards Sky Glass 

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

What’s the betting that it doesn’t support ARC or eARC?

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’ on it
(As long as you started the thread, and haven’t already accepted an answer)
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’ (the thumbs-up icon)
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

I think there's still a place (in the short to medium term) for Now but I can see the benefits of Glass.

A one box solution for TV, sound and streaming without a dish will certainly appeal to a sizeable market particularly as people look to save space and energy consumption.

Will I be tempted? Time will tell but the overriding factor for me will be any restriction on sharing the account. Now is convenient as I can give access to my elderly parents and retain control of the cost (using retention offers etc) and any issues with the service.

Interestingly, the linked article says the service works on WiFi 6 without mentioning if it 'only' works on WiFi 6 or if you lose some of the functionality by using WiFi 5. Also there's no mention of minimum bandwidth requirements.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sky-glass-vs-sky-q-whats-the-difference-4171785/amp

0 Thanks
Issac
Scholar

It Just seems to be a Sky TV with a built in Nowtv box? No Thanks!

0 Thanks
chai
Scholar 3

@AlexB83 

Now that Sky Glass has appeared there is zero chance that NOW TV will ever be updated to 4K.

0 Thanks
chai
Scholar 3

@Saint1976 @RoyB 

Sky is suggesting at least 11mbps for a single Glass device and 30mbps for multi-room

...one of the HDMIs can output sound via eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)

Mentioned here: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-glass-price-release-date-and-specs-all-the-details-on-skys-tv-wi...

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Vincent from HDTV Test who is a respectable TV reviewer and TV pro calibrator has done a quick overview of the Sky Glass TV's.

including in the YouTube Video he mentions the spec of the panel which is VA 60hz and the OEM manufacturer which is TP Vision who are behind the Philips TV brand.

He reckons from a quick viewing of HDR that the peak brightness is around 500 nits to his eyes.

Though until he tests and measures the television once he gets a sample he will confirm the actual peak brightness and can count the number of local back light dimming zones.

If i was interested in this TV i would wait for HDTV Test bench results if you need to know the peak brightness in HDR.

i have a Philips 4K HDR TV with 450 nits and HDR has very little to no impact, where my Hisense TV can push out around 1000 nits and HDR is impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11L7c5H2S_Y

How would you like a 4K QLED TV with VA panel, full-array local dimming (FALD), Dolby Vision & Atmos support, as well as Sky built-in without the need for a ...
Enapace
Expert 2

@schnapps 

Yeah i saw that revenue i'm still in two minds if to get one of these 43 inch tvs and get Sky Experience or to go for a 48 inch oled but not have the sky experience 

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Enapace 

Reading a couple of different AV forums, a few people are thinking of getting a 43inch Sky Glass TV for the Bedroom and adding a Sky Puck for their main room high spec television for the Sky experience.

I would assume a few customers interested in Sky Glass want a clean simple one solution device in their homes and are not that much bothered with the technical specs has long as the picture and sound is acceptable.

i am not sure about the Dusty Pink and Racing British Green colour schemes that look quite horrid to me.

Should anybody have any questions or looking for further information about Sky Glass then it might be wise to pop over to the dedicated Sky Glass section over on the Sky Community Forum.

Since the live announcement event this Thursday, they are quite a few threads and replies posted.

Because Sky IP are not offering a standalone streaming box, and i don't need another new television or what to go down the Sky Q Satellite Dish route, then i am sticking with NOW and can live with HD 1080p with my Boost Membership.