cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Sky Glass heralds the end of NOW TV

Sky Glass being launched today heralds the end for NOW TV: Sky Glass

This is the first version of Sky's long promised Sky over IP service, and will no doubt be swiftly followed by a set-top box variant (the Sky Glass TV will not be a big seller).

It would also explain why NOW TV is no longer manufacturing hardware, and attempts to maximise income from NOW TV users with their charges related to the Boost add-on.

34 REPLIES 34
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Day Sports Membership is still available to purchase.

When i questioned NOW about the Week Sports Membership, they said this type of Pass was dropped to simplify things.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User 

I don't think Now tv is going anywhere in the short to medium term they literally just rebranded it a few months ago and made a number of changes, so I don't see the point of doing that if they were just going to get rid of it. The only thing that might change that is if they have a standalone Sky app or dongle which has full sky. I think whilst Sky Glass may encourage a few Now viewers to switch there will still be a high number who won't because they might not need want or can't afford a new TV or may not pass credit check etc 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NOW (TV) in Spain was pulled yes, however Comcast and ViacomCBS are launching SkyShowtime in 2022 in Spain along with other countries. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. That was one of the problems Comcast had with the existence of NowTV. It was going to interfere with their plans to roll out services like this universally. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did some digging and one of the ideas Comcast had looked at was "expanding" the Now TV platform to include ad-supported free content. SPlitting off things like Showtime so they weren't on main SKy changes, but available by separate subscription (which would be included as part of Sky subscriptions).

The real issue int he background is illegal IPTV. Now TV really does provide a simple, reliable alternative to that and its a real issue in the UK market. If you trim down NowTV then you risk more people using illegal services.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The main issue that Comcast has with Sky is down to content. Which is the sole reason why Comcast is "adding" its US version of NOW (Peacock) into its European markets at no extra cost. 

When you think about FOX closing thanks to Disney. Then you have Paramount+ launching next year, which could very well see Comedy Central and MTV channels being removed from NOW and exclusively on Paramount+, along with Paramount+ you have Showtime content which could be on Paramount+ unless it has a lifetime deal with Sky.

And of course there is HBO which ends ends 2024.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

The Fact that Discovery and Warnermedia Merger is about to be approved passed regulators only needs Board approvals which is a given at this stage and the Fact Discovery is merging with BT Sport is a True True Game Changer for the UK beyond any doubt. That will be first time ever Sky will have a competitor of that size in Live TV and Sports, Sky should be extremely worried about that. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Absolutely mate. Definitely looking forward to this merger happening.

My gut is telling me that HBO Max will launch sometime after the Warner Bros Discovery merger.

Having a HBO Max thanks to my VPN and also Discovery+, a single app would be fantastic as it is never mind adding in “BT” sport to the service. 

Greytop1967
Advocate

Think I will be waiting to see if this takes off or not at least there is not 2 rival companies in this market. 

In the 80's I got it right with a VHS video recorder but in the 90's had a BSB dish Oops!!

chai
Scholar 3

@AlexB83 

Now that Sky Glass has appeared there is zero chance that NOW TV will ever be updated to 4K.