cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Sky Glass heralds the end of NOW TV

Sky Glass being launched today heralds the end for NOW TV: Sky Glass

This is the first version of Sky's long promised Sky over IP service, and will no doubt be swiftly followed by a set-top box variant (the Sky Glass TV will not be a big seller).

It would also explain why NOW TV is no longer manufacturing hardware, and attempts to maximise income from NOW TV users with their charges related to the Boost add-on.

34 REPLIES 34
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai 

Just because NOW are no longer producing new hardware does not mean that the streaming service will come to a close. 

Not all customers want to be tied into a contract for their streaming service (outside of BT NOW). Which is the main reason I am with NOW. 

Untill Sky do away with contracts on its TV side, NOW will always be relevant. 

Also with this new device from Sky, you still need the device to watch Sky TV. You wont be able to watch Sky TV on a streaming stick. 

If Sky introduce an app for Smart TVs and streaming sticks, for "Sky TV" then maybe it will effect NOW.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

I don’t think you have read the details correctly only buying the tv on the loan agreement is a contract the TV contract is only 31 days so basically identical to NOW so I would argue this is a big game changer. I’m very much considering this having Sky Glass as the secondary tv in my house and getting the Puck box for main TV. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @gavs82008 

We are waiting for more details to emerge, but say you take one of these TVs on the four-year deal, and drop the Sky package after a month, then what are you left with?

A smart TV with apps, but no Sky, and Freeview if you plug a terrestrial aerial in?

An unsmart TV with no apps and no Sky, but Freeview if you plug a terrestrial aerial in?

Or something even less?

Though I note you do get to buy the TV, which doesn’t happen with the Sky Q box, which you only rent and have to give back.

I also wonder if the Netflix that Sky throw in with their package is Netflix you can use anywhere, as it is a full subscription, or just Netflix on the Sky Glass set itself (and probably off the pucks)?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

The details are mostly out but not easily found.

In regards to TV without Sky Subscription you would have only access to Freeview by the looks of it and the voice searching ability.

Yes you do get to buy the TV I would probably just buy it outright wouldn't want pay for it monthly but that's a good thing for people who don't want to buy a TV outright. It's a full Netflix Basic Subscription which you can use anywhere.

chai
Scholar 3

@RoyB 

I don't think the Sky Glass TV has an aerial input, as it's exclusively an internet TV.

Would hope that a "premium" TV like this would have an ethernet socket as well as wi-fi, guess we will find out soon enough.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@chai 

It does have an aerial socket and a ethernet port infact.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @chai 

This screen shot gives all the connection details on the Sky Glass televisions.

Screenshot_2021-10-07-09-48-31.png

AlexB83
Scholar 2

I don't think it's the end of now tv at all. There will still be a huge amount of people who don't want the commitment of buying a TV over a number of years or wouldn't pass credit checks etc. Yes for people who would really like full sky but can't because of the satellite it might be an option and it does look good but for many Now subscribers I think it won't change much 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@AlexB83 

Oh on this I agree it is a bit of annoyance having to buy a TV to get this experience and i am shocked they aren't requiring longer then a month contract for the TV services on it. I think i will getting though as my second TV and then getting a puck for my main TV. Does make you laugh though that on Sky Glass that Sky Cinema is same price as Now and Sky Sports is less.