cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Side loading filmon

Hi, is sideloading filmon on my now TV box illegal or against now TVs t and c's?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As far as I can see from a quick look, the NOW TV T&Cs only seem to exclude them from any liability or responsibility to the customer arising from any failure on the part of third parties.

Didn't see anything that says you must not side load apps to a NOW TV box. If NOW TV wanted to prevent it, then I'm sure they could ask Roku to modify the firmware and/or OS to do so.

As for the legal status of FilmOn itself, I have no idea. I've got a FilmOn app installed on a "proper" Roku box, provided by a Roku developer as a private channel (this was done quite easily via my Roku account without any need for side-loading). I suppose if it is deemed to be illegal, the FilmOn feeds will just stop working!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you can side load one app. You will have no issues using Filmon. Don't forget you will need a TV licence to watch the content.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @4268

Hi Benny and 4268

Guys, please correct me if I am wrong but I believe Benny's question is more to do with Filmon's legal status rather than it is to do with the app being loaded onto a Now TV box.

At the moment, Filmon's legal status is still "up in the air" in the states and quite possibly on "shaky ground" within the EU.  So at a guess, it would be up to Now TV's legal bods to decide whether using Filmon on their boxes infringes Now TV's Ts & Cs .

UK Bob

As far as I can see from a quick look, the NOW TV T&Cs only seem to exclude them from any liability or responsibility to the customer arising from any failure on the part of third parties.

Didn't see anything that says you must not side load apps to a NOW TV box. If NOW TV wanted to prevent it, then I'm sure they could ask Roku to modify the firmware and/or OS to do so.

As for the legal status of FilmOn itself, I have no idea. I've got a FilmOn app installed on a "proper" Roku box, provided by a Roku developer as a private channel (this was done quite easily via my Roku account without any need for side-loading). I suppose if it is deemed to be illegal, the FilmOn feeds will just stop working!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I have sideloaded filmon(tvplayer) and its really a decent app. what a  great little box!

Cheers!

Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor whilst side loading is not mentioned in the help articles, it is generally accepted. A lot of people use Plex as their choice of add. The legality of Plex is fine, content shared on it by individuals may not be. The app @Anonymous User is referring to was developed by one of the community contributors and as such would not have done so had it been against Now terms to do so. Regarding Filmon itself you can actually use full Film on via the Playto app.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not against the T&Cs, although not 100% sure FilmOn really have the rights they claim to the streams in the first place.

Glad you enjoy the app though 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am indeed! 😉 Thanks again everyone.