cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Scam Phone Calls are doing the rounds again

Dear Forum Members

Due to Corona and most people staying indoors, the phone scammers are back and doing the rounds.

It's obvious that this pandemic has given the scum bags fertile ground to try and sow their lies and cons, so don't fall for those pre-recorded messages, those friendly foreign accents claiming to be George or Amber from BT or any other unexpected phone call, don't say anything just put the phone down.

Keep yourself and your finances save and just put the phone down.

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interesting.

We haven’t used the landline for a couple of years now - note even got the handset plugged in!

Tip: If you’ve got caller display enabled, put all the numbers of your family, friends, organisations etc into the phone’s contact list and then don’t answer calls from unrecognised numbers. If it’s important, they’ll call you back (or leave a message if you have an answerphone or voicemail - only genuine unknown callers tend to do that, and of course it gives you comtrol over choosing whether or not to call them back).

Rary rarely get unsolicited calls on the mobile, but did get one today from 0708 022 2325 (probably a spoofed number but blocked it anyway). A recorded voice speaking mandarin but punctuated with the odd English word like “corona”!

”Stay safe”...

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting the pre-recorded voice telling me my "internet is going to be disconnected in 24 hours". I'd ask you to block the number (if you provide that service) but the swines are withholding their number. Anybody got any ideas ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yeah J

Ignore it.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just had one from an 011511 ... number, a recorded message saying my broadband was "getting cut off in 4 hours, press 1 to contact your provider"

Obviously I didn't and hung up! 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Way to go Birdie, don't engage with those scum buckets.  Just remember, they can't scam you if you don't talk to them.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy  Well it isn't just phone calls these idiots try to scam you with. I got an interesting email from "Apple" earlier.

Screenshot_2020-04-25-14-11-00_kindlephoto-198324424.png

• Look at the email address it came from.
  • At the very top, "Your Apple is locked". So, either my account is that I haven't used in about 5 years, or my iPod touch that has been dead for 6 years has been locked. 😂
  • "Dear customer", not "Dear Miss Casey (surname)" .

They also sent me an identical email with a sketchy looking file.

I really should get that account deleted but I can't even remember my security answers. I made that really secure! (On the proper Apple website, not from a sketchy link.)

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hi Casey

Although I'm not an Apple customer, and it's obvious Apple's been hacked, it's an account you should NEVER (EVER) use again.

It also shows that Apple's been sloppy with it's security.  I would suggest, if possible and to safeguard yourself, delete your email address you have with your ISP and establish a new one, I know this is not easy but it's something I've had to do a  few times over the years I've been using the Internet.

One other thing I would suggest, and I don't know if what I'm going to say is practical, if you must buy Apple products in the future establish an email address that only Apple can use to contact you. If this problem should ever occurs again then you can readily discard that unique email without any consequences.

Be Safe, until later.

Rambling Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I don't use that email address for anything anymore. Too much spam.

Any accounts I signed up with it, I changed the address so all is good.

I don't think they got hacked, they just probably used an automatic email as their template. It is awful how many people would fall for it though. 😢

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been contacted today by an Indian guy named Kevin called me on three different numbers telling me to download team viewer quick support.  As my rote had suspicious activities.  Don't answer your calls to these numbers....02570838191. 09896216723. 05052867242. Be safe everyone! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router not rote sorry!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have received calls over recent days claiming to be Sky saying my broadband had been hacked. 

Both scams and have been reported to Action Fraud.

Please be careful and don't give any of your details out.

Calls came from 02746 483841 and this morning 02749 930742. Wouldn't  mind but only got my broadband installed on Tuesday.