cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Scam Phone Calls are doing the rounds again

Dear Forum Members

Due to Corona and most people staying indoors, the phone scammers are back and doing the rounds.

It's obvious that this pandemic has given the scum bags fertile ground to try and sow their lies and cons, so don't fall for those pre-recorded messages, those friendly foreign accents claiming to be George or Amber from BT or any other unexpected phone call, don't say anything just put the phone down.

Keep yourself and your finances save and just put the phone down.

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interesting.

We haven’t used the landline for a couple of years now - note even got the handset plugged in!

Tip: If you’ve got caller display enabled, put all the numbers of your family, friends, organisations etc into the phone’s contact list and then don’t answer calls from unrecognised numbers. If it’s important, they’ll call you back (or leave a message if you have an answerphone or voicemail - only genuine unknown callers tend to do that, and of course it gives you comtrol over choosing whether or not to call them back).

Rary rarely get unsolicited calls on the mobile, but did get one today from 0708 022 2325 (probably a spoofed number but blocked it anyway). A recorded voice speaking mandarin but punctuated with the odd English word like “corona”!

”Stay safe”...

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Interesting.

We haven’t used the landline for a couple of years now - note even got the handset plugged in!

Tip: If you’ve got caller display enabled, put all the numbers of your family, friends, organisations etc into the phone’s contact list and then don’t answer calls from unrecognised numbers. If it’s important, they’ll call you back (or leave a message if you have an answerphone or voicemail - only genuine unknown callers tend to do that, and of course it gives you comtrol over choosing whether or not to call them back).

Rary rarely get unsolicited calls on the mobile, but did get one today from 0708 022 2325 (probably a spoofed number but blocked it anyway). A recorded voice speaking mandarin but punctuated with the odd English word like “corona”!

”Stay safe”...

ukbobboy
Legend

@dr_necessitor 

Hi Doc

I thought about getting one of those programmable phones but for now, when some babbling scammer says he's from BT and I've got a problem on my line, I just say, "you've made mistake, I'm not a BT customer",  that tends to put them off for a few months. 

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy That does not come as a surprise. They are like vultures. 😠

I used to love messing with them, especially the "you have been involved in a car accident recently" ones. I would always say "oh yes, my nephew hit me with a hot wheel". 

They would soon hang up. 😂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hi Casey

How are you young lady?

Hope you've not been bitten by the Corona bug, back in the day, way back when I was a kid, Corona used to be a bottle of fizzy drink, now it's a plague (go figure).

Anyway, glad your back and hope we can have a forum chat in the future, so for now, stay safe and stay healthy.

Catch you later

UK Bob

PS. Gonna check out Tubular Bells, don't know if I'll like it but willing to give it a try.

Tubular Bells 2003.jpg

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I'm doing good thank you! Yourself? 

I really miss going to work everyday and am missing the people I work with but I am being really good and staying home except for walking the dog which is thankfully still allowed.

Although, going to buy food feels like a crime now when I have to go. 😢

I have heard of that drink. There is a video on YouTube of a guy attempting to drink a 40 year old bottle which looks a bit grim now. 😂

Isn't Tubular Bells the iconic theme to The Exorcist as well? 

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hi Casey

Yeah, I'm OK and trying to stay out of harms way.

As for shopping, I've been a home shopper for years and so my shopping comes to me, 'sides I've always hated shopping.  I can't stand it when supermarkets move their displays around, keeps me searching for my stuff longer than I should.

As for Tubular Bells, listened to it last night and it started off with that iconic intro but about a third of the way through the song went crazy (and became painful to listen to).  So, no Tubular Bells for me, I'm now off looking for some other tunes.

Saying that, last night I bought "The Best Of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler - Private Investigations", I haven't had time to listen to it yet but hopefully I'll do that tomorrow, I've got a new set of speakers arriving tomorrow as well (my cabin fever impulse buy).

The Best Of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler - Private Investigations.jpg

As for the Exorcist having Tubular Bells as it's theme tune, I don't actually remember, but I'll take your word for it because I'm not "into" horror films anymore.

As for that guy wanting to drink something that may be 40 year old poison, I'm sure he is probably some crazy trying to make money, and crazy money makers are usually dangerous people.

Until next time.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Now me, I to see the food I am buying first. Especially things like fish and fruit/veggies for quality. I guess I get that from my mum. 😂

If push came to shove though, I would have to hopefully get a delivery slot as I hear they are tight right now.

I have a tune for you! This song from the 80s era is driving everyone online bonkers as no one knows who made it! It is quite a darn good song but it can be a bit hard to hear certain lyrics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SgvXIirw3I

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Casey

That mysterious song reminds me of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmTe3TDdVU

Have a listen and see what you think.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I can hear it slightly. Hopefully one day someone out there will hear it on youTube and think "that is my song!" and come forward. 😂