cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku app UI now slow

Apologies in advance, this is quite a grumble!
My Roku updated last night with the new Now only branding.

Along with the update came the dreaded new user interface that I experienced on one of the NowTV Branded streaming sticks that I had to ditch in favour of the Roku stick instead.

This UI is so slow and it takes about 5-10 more clicks to do anything than the old layout. For example, the option to search is now tucked away down at the very bottom of the main page or behind the star button. It used to be the first menu option when you opened the app.

The other pain is that you can no longer quickly get back to the full list of TV show episodes when you start watching something. On the old app you simply pressed the back button when watching and it took you back to the full episode list for that programme so it was easy to select another to watch. Now it just takes you back to the main menu screen. To get to the list of shows you now either have to go through above said slow search option or many many clicks to find the TV channel or genre that the show was under.

Overall performance is just sluggish compared to the old layout which was fairly snappy. I think this is a classic case of if it ain't broke don't fix it!

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All

I find the new interface terrible - can’t find things easily and it’s very slow to respond, sometimes having to press the remote button 2/3 times to get it to respond and do something!

Hope Now take note and change it back!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also finding it slow on my Streaming Stick+. I also don't find the UI very intuitive. I really liked the previous version for being simple and quick. 

There's always people who don't like new UI design but the fact that the response is also so poor is something I'll never adapt to. I'll just end up using less. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah my older roku device, that I have praised to everyone for being so fast and responsive for all the streaming apps, got its NOW ui update the other day.... Not happy

Regardless of the layout and accessibility of the content, it's the slow laggy'ness that has ruined it. Just scrolling down the content is so slow, pressing buttons on the remote has too much of a delay before things happening on screen. It's broken as far is in concerned.

And I don't think I've noticed anyone else mention this, but I've also started getting buffering issues while watching things, goes from pin sharp HD content, to looking like a knocked off dvd from 20 years ago. I pay for the boost pass for full HD (don't get me started on that subject) and never had issue until the ui update. I have a solid 250mbs fibre connection that is flawless for everything until now it seems.

Insight into a fix would be great before I give up and get a new device. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What is wrong with these people who design the NOW tv app,  can't they leave what was already good alone, because I do not know what they have done with this update, but the NOW app when selected on the Roku  flashes about 3 times on and off on the screen slowly until it finally displays the programs? Before it loaded straight away. This new update is so slow now and like others have said the layout is crap.

Please revert to the old format, which worked a lot better on the Roku stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more. I sent in a complaint and was told to do a factory reset. Great if it solves the slow interface, but won't change the poor layout design. Please revert back to how it was before!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The new look for the app rebrand to NOW is here to stay. 

For NOW if the slow interface problem is resolved then it is a job well done for them. 

Personally speaking I prefer the new layout. But obviously it’s all down to personal preference.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

🙄ugh, seriously…

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So according to you I’m not allowed to have a personal opinion on liking the new Interface? 

Also I was just stating a fact what NOW are effectively doing. It’s the way Sky’s new owners Comcast want to go. 
Very doubt customers like you and me will “sway” any of their decision makings. If they did they would have implemented user profiles years ago!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes mine's frustratingly slow too, thinking it might be the issue, I even bought a new Roku stick PLUS but that is no faster than my dear old 3 4200X, which had the advantage of Ethernet connection. 

The NOW app take a while to open, stuff is hard to find, the remote is unresponsive, it takes a few seconds to pause playback for example. 

And worse of all, quite a few times since the NOW update, I have lost playback during watching a show with an unspecified error. 

I am thinking of cancelling my NOW Entertainment sub too, Netflix is SO much faster and smoother overall. And they don't upcharge for 4K - So is Prime. 

There are only 30 or so complaints on here, imagine how many customers they have! I don't suppose our voice will, be heard!

Even this forum is whacked, I found the page through Google, wanted to reply, so had to log in - which then took me to the standard NOW landing page, leaving me to try find the user forum again. 

What are these people thinking!

The NOW app on ROKU was SO much better before, faster, smoother, easier, didn’t lose programs during playback!

ah well