cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Roku Free Ad-Supported Streaming Service Channel (App)

The new free Roku ad-supported channel App is now available to watch in the UK 😀.

Just watched a little bit of Zulu on my Roku Stick Plus and the picture looks pretty decent to me where according to this linked article below it says streaming quality up to 1080p 😆.

The article also mentions the Roku Free channel App will be available on NowTV Sticks, where i am assuming they also mean NowTV boxes has well.

Checked my NowTV Smart 4K box and the Roku Channel App is not currently available yet.

There is some interesting stuff to watch on there but don't expect the latest or greatest being a free service after all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/other/roku-e2-80-99s-free-ad-supported-streaming-service-is-coming... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai 

Just to let you know that the Roku channel App has just landed on my NowTV 4K Smart box 😁.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Hi Schnapps

No worries, I just thought that second line of tools would be a "nice to have" but if it's not available to the rest of us then it's no biggie.

Listening to some very old school tunes that use to be around when I was a young teen, some 50 years ago. Who would have thought that it would be no big deal to pick up music from "way back when" in the 21st century.

Plan to listen and type until 4.00pm, when House MD starts on channel 30.

Later

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Just checked my Windows 10 tablet and i am still seeing the three small horizontal dots on my screen to expand the tool bar option to a second layer 😉.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @huxley123  @commanda6 

Well Guys

Seems like it's not the rest of us, it's just me.

Sad Emoji.png

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @huxley123  @commanda6 

Well guess what Guys

It seems that when I increased my view to 110%, which is now my default viewing, the three dots vanished.  However, after some experimenting, I found the three dots reappeared after resizing the screen to 100%, and so regaining access to the extra line of tools.

Old Eyes

😀

Eyes.png

UK Bob

huxley123
Scholar 2

Found some stuff to watch but the navigation has changed again making it near impossible to locate programmes.

At some point there was a Westerns sub-category in films and I mentally noted a few.

I can find them again using the search box, but I can't see a way back to the Westerns section to look for more.

e.g. Big Jake

It's shows in a search but I can't find any way of seeing it by browsing, There were others I've forgotten now but have no way to find the again.

Doing some random searches reveals there's a lot on content hidden away on the channel.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @huxley123 

There is still a "Westerns" sub category showing for me on the newer layout where it says 1 of 40.

I found it by navigating more towards the bottom of the home screen inbetween Documentaries & Music Documentaries.

huxley123
Scholar 2

That seems to be a different layout from what I have.

There is a Sci-fi category but not Westerns.

huxley123
Scholar 2

It changed again and I now have Westerns again (was definitely missing for a while).

Found the complete series of Lexx, that should keep me watching for a while. Also noticed it remembers where I am in a series which is handy.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @huxley123 

They must be using some sort of dynamic algorithm, where Westerns have been permanently showing has a sub section category for me, but the section keeps moving around the home screen of the App.

Where today it is located in between Teen TV & Movies and Music.

Noticed they have added a couple of new movies yesterday (i.e The Net & The Whole Nine Yards) not complaining much because the service is free at the end of the day 😀.

huxley123
Scholar 2

That dynamic algorithm must decide which selection of films to show in each category too.

I now see a choice of 40 westerns. On the old layout I noted some I might watch. The Lucky Texan was one of them. It's doesn't show in the selection of 40 westerns. I can find it using search but if I hadn't spotted it before I would never have known it was there.

There could be thousands of great films on the Roku Channel but there doesn't seem to be any way to find them short of word searching for every single one.