cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Roku Free Ad-Supported Streaming Service Channel (App)

The new free Roku ad-supported channel App is now available to watch in the UK 😀.

Just watched a little bit of Zulu on my Roku Stick Plus and the picture looks pretty decent to me where according to this linked article below it says streaming quality up to 1080p 😆.

The article also mentions the Roku Free channel App will be available on NowTV Sticks, where i am assuming they also mean NowTV boxes has well.

Checked my NowTV Smart 4K box and the Roku Channel App is not currently available yet.

There is some interesting stuff to watch on there but don't expect the latest or greatest being a free service after all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/other/roku-e2-80-99s-free-ad-supported-streaming-service-is-coming... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai 

Just to let you know that the Roku channel App has just landed on my NowTV 4K Smart box 😁.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @huxley123 

The Roku App channel functionality is a bit basic to my liking and like you said there is no way to make a playlist or find different genres.

I suppose because it's free you can't expect a slick full featured App.

I haven't really looked in to this much but see if there is anything over on the Roku Community Forum that can offer you any tips.

The UK sales marketing blur that i have read on the internet says 10,000 TV shows & Movies (unless they meant in the US and not TV programmes but TV episodes).

This is extremely long winded but if you go into the Roku Channel App search feature and type in alphabetical order starting from A, then B, then C etc it does give a maximum 100 return hit results found, then if there is anything that takes your fancy make a note the old fashioned way with a pen & a some paper.

I am not complaining though because the App is free to use 😀.

Another Free App that is improving over time from its outset on the UK if you don't mind watching live TV is the Pluto TV App, where content quality on some channels are getting better 😀.

I am lucky and subscribe to NowTV  Entertainment & Cinema, Netflix &  Amazon Prime Video and there is plenty of stuff to watch.

Where there is not enough time in the day (even with the home lockdown) to watch everything i want too, so i will only occasionally dip into the free Roku channel App or Pluto TV App to see what's currently available to watch.

huxley123
Scholar 2

It's the website I was having even more difficulty navigating.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/whats-on/the-roku-channel

The app on my black box is similar to other free channels, with some categories which help a bit. I think the app remembers previous searches which also helps.

I watched an old John Wayne film on it last night. Only a couple of advert breaks with two ads in each, so not too intrusive.

It's a welcome addition to Now TV for me, another browse through last night found a few more things I'll watch. Just a pity there was no way to save favourites. That's why I was going to use the website as I thought it would be easier on the PC and make a list, but the What's On section of the website hardly shows anything.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Hey Schnapps

Here's something from a totally different topic and it's about how this forum page works.

I remember when this new-style forum page was introduced there was a second line of facilities under the Subject heading, such as mini-smilies and other stuff I now cannot remember, that now seems to be inaccessible or just completely deleted.

Can that second line of facilities be accessed and if so how?

I know this question is "out left field" but it's bugged me for some time.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Do you mean the additional tools when replying to a post on the forum like in my screen shot below or have i misunderstood what you are after ?

youdoodle-2020-04-10T12-28-15Z.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Hi again

Yes Schnapps, that is it, that second line of tools, where is it hidden?

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I use MS Edge internet browser on a Android Tablet.

For me when you are in landscape mode on my tablet (doesn't work in portrait mode) on the first row of tools on the far right there is three horizontal dots and if you click on the three dots the second layer tool bar appears on my screen 😀.

Don't know if it's the same principle on other devices and other Internet browsers when using the NowTV Community Forum when replying.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Naw Schnapps

No dots, no tools, no nothing.

Could be something unique to MS Edge.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I have just tried Fire Fox on my Android tablet and also get the three horizontal small dots at the far right on the tool task bar in landscape mode.

Maybe it's only available on Android mobile devices ?

I have Windows 10 Tablet and when i use it next time i will see if i can get the additional tools and report back either later today or sometime tomorrow of my findings.

Unfortunately i don't own a PC anymore to check.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Unfortunately i don't own a PC anymore to check.

@schnapps after ends the lockdown, get a PC you will 😁

I could not stop myself from using Yoda speak😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
huxley123
Scholar 2

I can see them on my Windows 7 PC running latest Firefox version 75.0