cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote access wifi help

Hi.

I feel like such a fool!!! I was trying to find a setting to reset my WiFi while on my phone. 

I went into the ip 192.168.0.1 and admin and hit something like an access control? 

My phone disconnected from my WiFi and can't find it now! Other devices unaffected i think. 

I can't believe I did that and now it's incredibly frustrating because I can't reconnect to my WiFi on my phone. 

😞

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User (I see what you did there)

if you don’t know what you did, your best bet is to reset the router - see if there is a button on the casing you can press, or a little pinhole you can stick the end of a paper clip into - and set it up from scratch again.

Wherever possible, routers should only be fiddled with over a wired connection, or it can be the electronic equivalent of a tree surgeon sawing off the branch they are sitting on 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User (I see what you did there)

if you don’t know what you did, your best bet is to reset the router - see if there is a button on the casing you can press, or a little pinhole you can stick the end of a paper clip into - and set it up from scratch again.

Wherever possible, routers should only be fiddled with over a wired connection, or it can be the electronic equivalent of a tree surgeon sawing off the branch they are sitting on 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Thanks so much for the reply🙂 I'm definitely going to be far more careful in future with my exploration into any settings aha!

Reset router questions now.

After pushing the button, what do I need to do to set it back up again?

Daft question incoming; it's still linked to my broadband right? 

Thanks again!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Unless you changed any router settings earlier and deliberately (e.g. split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands), hopefully nothing; just carry on using it.

You might have to relink the WiFi on your mobile, at the mobile end, but all your other devices should just carry on as before.

And the only daft questions are the ones you should have asked but didn’t 😛

The router will drop the connection to Now momentarily, (so don’t do this while relying on the internet being there on another device, like internet banking) but will pick it up again automatically as it reboots.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Definitely didn't play around with any settings like that lol

So when I press the button, it'll still be the same name and password to connect etc? Everything else will still be connected but it might come back on my phone?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, as long as you have never changed the default WiFi name and password on the router.

(With over 30 devices in our home, it was easier to just change our new router to use the same details as the old one, and save altering 30 devices, so if I reset my router, I have to remember to change these details again afterwards).

But you will probably be fine. I can reboot (power cycle) my router if it misbehaves, and it will come straight back.

But as you have actively changed something, you need a reset to get it back how it should be; a reboot will not be enough.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Ooh,i had changed the name and password

So it'll revert back to the details on the router itself?

30! Goodness, I'm glad I don't have that many aha

Thank you so much for taking the time this morning to answer my questions 🙂 

RoyB
Legend

Yes; just log on to the router with its default values, and set back the details you changed them to again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s the number I called yesterday she informed me was down to sky I’m currently using my mobile data it’s internet use is for one console & 2 phones this hasn’t happened before says no signal can’t even get now tv hub up??

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

i think you are jumping on a thread about something else here 😢

To avoid thread drift, can you please start you own thread? (On the entry screen press New Post)

And a bit more detail would be helpful. Are you saying that Now Broadband told you that broadband was down where you are, or what? As, usually, if the problem isn’t at Now, they have to wait for Openreach to fix it.