cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

Prime Day Deals

Anyone looking for a new device there are some cracking deals on Amazon Prime.

Firestick 4k £22.99 (54% off)

Firestick £17.99 (55% off)

Firestick lite £12.99 (57% off)

Roku Stick 4k £28.49 (43% off)

Roku Express 4k £18.99 (51% off)

Roku Express £15.19 (47% off)

Deals end midnight tonight and are available to Prime members.

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

FireStick 4K Max £32.99 (40% off)

Send in an old FireStick for 20% trade-off on that price; £26.39 (51% off)

Put £80 into your Amazon Gift Card account, Amazon will add £9 to that:-

£17.39 (68% off)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Saint1976
Elite 3

@RoyB well spotted. I only looked through the first page of deals!

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

@RoyB how do you get the trade in?

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Ok, figured it out 🙂. Unfortunately they have to receive the stick first, and that won’t be possible in the next 11 hours 😩

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

With regards to Prime Deals i was nearly tempted in buying a Chromecast Google TV with remote for £39.99 less £10 off voucher code for select account Prime Members which took the price down to £29.99.

The only two things that stopped me was no native NOW App support 😠 and i don't like any of the colours offered on their remotes (wished there was a black version).

Saint1976
Elite 3

@schnapps even further off topic but much like the Pixel 6 deals! Just give me a black phone and black earbuds, not green or brown!

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

I must confess I did purchase myself a Roku express 4K from Amazon yesterday. It should be arriving today, while the Amazon devices have been slightly cheaper than Roku with respect to Now , at least, they are not quite as good as Roku. In Roku you have

• an auto adjust refresh rate function which works with virtually any service that is available in Roku. (This is very useful for the 50 Hz refresh rate, capable panels that our TVs have to have in the UK because our TV broadcast are 50 Hz) . Note in the past. This function hasn't always been available on the cheapest Roku's and tends to be available and mid range of above hence me ordering an express 4K
  • the use of Nows live pause function
  • the ability to customise the appearance of Now subtitles using the subtitle/caption settings in the Roku system settings menu

somewhat ironically, the prime video app on Roku is one of Amazon's better apps only Amazon's own devices are on par it

Roku devices that are not to stick form factor (express, express 4K), you have the ability to use USB ethernet adapters with them that you have to be careful what adapter you get apparently the official ethernet adapter for fire sticks works with Roku devices

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Does Roku now provide a live pause?  My last Roku stick didn’t which is why I got the Now stick.  FWIW I prefer the Amazon Fire sticks as they provide Prime Music (included in Prime subscription) which I don’t believe Roku does.  If only the fire stick had the live pause…

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SweetBlitz  Roku does indeed support live pause and has done for a long while now. feel free to tag me as I will answer quicker that way😁

extra info for everyone

"Roku devices that are not to stick form factor (express, express 4K), you have the ability to use USB ethernet adapters with them that you have to be careful what adapter you get apparently the official ethernet adapter for fire sticks works with Roku devices"

I need to post a slight correction on what I said above about both the Roku express and express 4K supporting ethernet, USB adapters, only the Roku express 4K can support the use of ethernet, USB adapters and you have to be very careful what adapter you get . The Amazon ethernet adapter keeps dropping connection See the Roku article at the link below

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360058027813

for me personally. The only thing that is missing from Roku is an app called 'Rakuten Viki' it was available previously on Roku if it was made available again. I wouldn't use a fire stick at all. The various software niggles/ problems relating refresh rate, handling has made me go off fire devices a bit . I think the only reason why Amazon is top dog in the UK in terms of streaming devices is because they undercut everyone else. 

Software wise Roku is better. Better software also means apps use less RAM to run. Sometimes Roku can also be better hardware wise in some respects.

Unless you go for the fire TV stick 4K max or that fire TV cube . The CPU in both the Roku express 4K and the Roku streaming stick 4K is better than what you would get in fire devices as it is based on the arm cortex A55 core instead of the A53 , that is, in most Amazon fire devices. It isn't just about clock speed, where CPUs are concerned. Too many people get too obsessed with clock speed alone

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/specs/hardware.md

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.