cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Plex Alexa Skill and Now TV

Hi there,

I use a Now TV Smart Box with Plex Classic sideloaded, and just saw this post from Plex saying they now support Alexa: https://www.plex.tv/blog/alexa-ask-plex-get-party-started/

Does anyone know whether this would control Plex Classic/Rarflix on a NowTV box?

Thanks,

Xander

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Was wondering the same myself, but I've not managed to get it working yet. Once you get the skill installed on Alexa, you have to select a remote player. I managed to get Plex on my phone and macbook to work as remote players, but not the NowTV box 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah interesting. Please let me know if you get it working!

I believe I read on their website it will work with Plex on Roku, however that app is wayyy more updated than what we have access to.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Normaly no. Plex classic does not feature the latest functions...

but this is not running on the NowTV box this is the Server on the PC your running... being connected wireless to Alexa...

Whats not shown in the PR content is youll need to set a PUSH TO device for all alexa content to play on.....

So if your PC can push content to the NowTV box then the server will push what ever alexa asks for to that NowTV/roku box...

The PR demos do not show how you select the out put device, As its all to new..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you say 

"Ask Plex to change my default player"

It will list supported connected plex players...

If the roku/nowTV box is not listed its not supported...

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Guys

This is the very first version of Alexa and personally I would not touch the first released version of any software, chances are that it will be very buggy.

Next, the versions of the Plex app NowTV box owners have access to are no longer supported and so will not be compatible with any current or future versions of Alexa.

However, if forum members still want to give Alexa a try they should first read: 

Getting Started with Alexa Voice Control  at the following URL: 

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

UK Bob