cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Parental Controls - ability to lock apps

I know I can block programmes by age but would like to be able to lock apps. I uninstalled You Tube on my Now TV box but my children keep reinstalling it. It would be great to be able to pin lock apps as well as restrict films/shows.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That feature isn't currently available on NOW TV boxes/stick, but it has been suggested before. It would be helpful if you could vote for and/or comment on the idea here to encourage NOW TV to take it up

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/Channel-Store-PIN-request-for-NOW-TV-boxes/idi-p/398789

If that particular feature is important to you, you could look at getting a Roku device instead (eg Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick+ which are like a NOW TV box but have more apps and features) as they do have the ability to add a PIN to prevent apps being installed. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That feature isn't currently available on NOW TV boxes/stick, but it has been suggested before. It would be helpful if you could vote for and/or comment on the idea here to encourage NOW TV to take it up

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/Channel-Store-PIN-request-for-NOW-TV-boxes/idi-p/398789

If that particular feature is important to you, you could look at getting a Roku device instead (eg Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick+ which are like a NOW TV box but have more apps and features) as they do have the ability to add a PIN to prevent apps being installed. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add to the discussion, I feel that this is regrettable that it's being discussed as an option. Restricting access, for any reason, to freely available resources, for anyone of any age, goes against my attitude to life. 

Some will disagree, but I felt it needed saying. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear Kernow Chris,

The problem is that YouTube's own parental controls are not failsafe.  We have YouTube parental controls activated but there have been plenty of times that I have had to swiftly turn off a video that my 6 year old has selected due to bad language, inappropriate content, etc (maybe I'm over sensitive, but painting a Disney Princess doll to look like Chucky,et al?).

I would be more than happy to allow my child to get up herself to watch TV in the morning, if only to allow myself a 30 minute lie in after being up for work by 6am every day, but I can't - I have to go down and monitor what she is watching constantly.

By the way, I tried removing the YouTube app from the main options, but her older brother showed her how to put it back on - to be honest, I'd just delete it if I could.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

That sounds like the luxury of a man who hasn’t got any children.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd like to think my views would be the same if I had Children. For every one concerned about content in general, there are equal numbers if not more seeking to direct children and teenagers away from specific types of material, that parental content censorship is what concerns me more that the former. It's that, that leads me to support access for all to content.    

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Oh, they wouldn’t be, they would change in a heartbeat, believe me.

What you call censorship, we call protection.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

people could of course not just leave their young children unattended in front of the tv and actually try being a parent, but that would of course be unreasonable, obviously.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So you'd be comfortable with your kids having completely free, unrestricted access to YouTube? Completely irresponsible.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Says someone without kids. @Anonymous User @Anonymous User