Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy@schnapps

I too have always been an early adopter when it comes to new tech (I remember badgering my father to help me buy the first Nicam tv set in our street) Smiley LOL

Nowadays new tech seems to go through so many revisions before being 'complete' that it's probably best to take the more cautious approach (although I still have the odd "I  must have that new thing" wobble) Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Robert

You said, "I still have the odd I must have that new thing wobble". I go through something similar, but it's more like I get an idea for an item, then that idea haunts me until I buy it. But I do try very hard to go through (at least the minimum of) a justification process before making a purchase, most of the time this process works.

You also said, "...new tech seems to go through so many revisions before being complete".  Well, yes and no, that is some products mature, i.e, reach completion, but I believe, because of the IT market's speed, a lot more tech items are prematurely EOL'd (End of Life). In other words, these items are effectively abandoned by their OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) when a similar, but more expensive, item is launched.

It's a "dog eat dog" world in the retail market space, with the customer usually getting eaten

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Guys

In order not to 'jack the "When will you be transmitting in HD?" thread, I thought I'd continue the conversation over here.

OK, I think I can say, with confidence, that we have the dreaded upgrade bug and, I guess, we each have our own way of justifying to ourselves (and our better halves) why we do what we do.

As I'm currently listening to Paul Young, I'm reformulating my (pre-purchase) justification process, here we go:-

1) Usefulness - Will the new piece of equipment fit in with my current stuff and do what I want it to do?

2) Cost - Will this item put a strain on my finances?

3) Benefits - Will I feel/see/hear the benefits of having this new item. e.g. computerised faxing facility.

4) Gamble - Have I done enough "due diligence", i.e. research, to mitigate out or at least reduce the gambling aspect of my choice?

Looking at my list, items 3 and 4 only become obvious after the purchase has been made and setup/installation completed.  

However, this justification process has mostly worked and has prevented me from making silly and costly mistakes.

Later peeps.

UK Bob

Smiley Happy Sorry guys, I guess your item 1) will be "What will the missus think?" Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy@Tony-D

Yes, I can confirm I am a carrier of the 'upgrade bug' Smiley LOL Can put a bit of a strain on the health of my bank balance Smiley Wink

I would say my list would be pretty near identical to yours @ukbobboy although the 'what will the missus think' part usually doesn't come into it until I've convinced myself the purchase is going ahead. I need to have my sales pitch perfected before involving my better half Smiley Happy

My 'problem' is I'm always looking bigger and better or newer. That's where it becomes difficult. How do I persuade my beloved that I need a Chromecast Ultra (as an example) when I already own a perfectly working Chromecast Generation 1? Smiley LOL Why is it the devil in my right ear always overcomes the angel in my left? Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Robert

Wow guy, I'm at a loss for words. 

worry.gif

Later.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi again Guys

You know, having a computer and easy access to buy stuff is a dangerous combination, coz' I've done it again but this time I only went a little bit crazy and took a small punt on some extra stuff for my musical enjoyment.Spending Emoji.jpg

Don't know if my punt will pay off or not but, at least for a short while, I've stopped the haunting.

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi again Guys

You know, having a computer and easy access to buy stuff is a dangerous combination, coz' I've done it again but this time I only went a little bit crazy and took a small punt on some extra stuff for my musical enjoyment.Spending Emoji.jpg

Don't know if my punt will pay off or not but, at least for a short while, I've stopped the haunting.

UK Bob

Just got paid today and having to resist everythig is bad. Hotukdeals will not be visited today i'm afraid. I'm still haunted @ukbobboy @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh go on @Tony-D you know you want to Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

Hi Tony

Keep on "not looking" coz' that's what gets me every time, I get an idea, see if it's technically possible, see if the kit is available and then check if the costs of all the items can be justified, i.e. won't hurt financially.

So you see, where I go wrong is when I start looking, if I didn't look then I wouldn't know and if I didn't know then I definitely wouldn't buy.

Blindfolded Emoji.jpg

So yeah, don't look.

UK Bob

Smiley Embarassed Gonna take my own advice Smiley Wink

PS. BTW, I've ordered a small subwoofer, and the trick is to fit it to device not designed to use it.Subwoofer Emoji.jpg

PPS. I little knowledge is also dangerous for the bank balance. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Robert

Don't temp the ladSaying No (Face Palm) emoji.gif

UK Bob