Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D @schnapps

Hey Robert

You said, "The beauty of our love of music is the many different styles we are interested in....It would be boring if we all listened to the same stuff."

You know, I totally agree with you, we are different people, from different walks of life and our music that we love compliments our tastes, experiences and moods. And you know, I wouldn't want it any other way because music is the one good thing we can all enjoy and revel in.

Catch you on the bounce.

UK Bob

PS. You know there are some people out there, a small number I hope, that just do not like music, in any form or genre whatsoever.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hey Robert

You said, "The beauty of our love of music is the many different styles we are interested in....It would be boring if we all listened to the same stuff."

You know, I totally agree with you, we are different people, from different walks of life and our music that we love compliments our tastes, experiences and moods. And you know, I wouldn't want it any other way because music is the one good thing we can all enjoy and revel in.

Catch you on the bounce.

UK Bob

PS. You know there are some people out there, a small number I hope, that just do not like music, in any form or genre whatsoever.

An excellent description my friend Smiley Happy

For those few that don't like music.....they don't know what they're missing.....the words that speak to many of us in so many different ways and can conjure a myriad of memories and emotions.

I'll leave you with one for tonight before I turn in (early start) Smiley Sad

'Bagatelle', an Irish band, formed in 1978 and still touring and well worth a listen. They are great story tellers.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

It's been a while since i have posted on this thread Smiley Sad

Anyway my first concert that i ever attended was Marillion at the NEC Birmingham when Fish was the lead singer (lost interest in the band when he left).

For me the best concert that i had been too for atmosphere was at Cardiff University Students Union Hall watching Magnum (a fantastic night) Smiley Happy

Haven't been to any concerts since the early nineties where has i got older and tighter with my money it is something that doesn't interest me any more.

A couple of girls at our gym went to see The Rolling Stones the other week in Cardiff and i nearly fell off the tread mill when they said that they paid about £150 for a ticket and £30 for a T shirt Smiley Happy

With regards to my music taste i will listen to most things from the late 70's, 80' and 90's where i have lost touch with the music scene from about 2000.

Was mainly into Heavy Rock in my teens and when i started going to the clubs in the late eighties / early nineties i got into the House and Electronic Dance Music movement Smiley Very Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D

Guys

As Schnapps experienced, I too lost touch with the music I liked in the late 80's to early 90's and didn't really find my way back until 2015, even though I would still buy the occasional CD.

However, this evening, at about @ 7.00pm, I started to dig around in the darkest corners of my digital albums and found to my surprise that my musical tastes have not changed since I started to buy albums back in 1972/73. The music I liked then I still like now and then to buy remastered reissues.

For example, a group that I followed, from way back when, has been through many changes in band members and lead singers, through various genres and sub-genres but they have always kept a consistent style. And that's why I still buy their original and remastered music, i.e. past stuff to catch up on what I have missed and any modern releases I can still find.

And BTW, that group is The Temptations.

The one thing I can say that has changed over the years for me is the way I buy and listen to music.

Back in the day it was vinyl and a Hi-Fi system, but when the Hi-Fi system bit the dust, I started to listen to music via CDs on a PC computer or a combined CD/cassette/radio system. As you can imagine, there is no way I could maintain any kind of enthusiasm with setups like that, plus life also got in the way.

However, now all my albums are all digital and plays from my NAS computer, storing my music database, via my Roku 3 to my music system.

And, believe or not, it's primarily due to this forum that my enthusiasm for music has been rekindled.

Later Peeps

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

We spoke about the volume levels we like to listen to our music. The music you appear to enjoy most would lost its effect if it was listened to at too hight a volume (my opinion of course).

I think my love of loud music comes from being at so many concerts over the past 30 odd years (God it's scary to think it's been that length of time) PHEW!!!! We normally can't listen to a Madness album now as we've saw them so many times it's the live music (and the banter) I hear in my head now and not the actual album tracks Smiley LOL

@schnapps

Welcome back aboard this Music Express Smiley Happy

I remember seeing Magnum once in a field somewhere in Ireland Smiley LOL

Admittedly yes the concert going experience is becoming a very expensive one, probably the reason I watch so much telly, so I can save up for these jaunts Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @caseyb1993 @Tony-D

Hi Robert

You said, "The music you appear to enjoy most would lost its effect if it was listened to at too high a volume".

You know, you are absolutely right and here is a prime example. I was listening to an old Smokey Robinson track earlier on, and I actually heard, for the first time, a subtle second lead vocal where he was swooping in and out of his main vocals.  

I think it's called "double-tracking" and is when an artist records a second vocal track on a song that he/she has pre-recorded.

Anyway, this second vocal was so delicately sung that had I not been listening attentively I would have completely missed it.

Not only that, I have lots of double-tracking songs (numbers unknown) and yes, played at a loud volume delicately played instruments and vocals would be lost.

Right now, I'm back on Rag'n'Bone Man.

Later peeps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy@caseyb1993

Rag N Bone Man and his band were amazing. His voice is just out of this world with such a wide vocal range. Would definitely recommend him as a live act.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Loving this whole conversation guys. Makes my otherwise boring Sunday a lot more entertaining lol. P.s I think i'm addicted to my bluetooth speaker. Every time i turn it on, i'm amazed at the quality of the sound. You guys up to much this bank holiday?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Guys

I've just got a simple question for each of you, and that is what music do you like to listen to when reading or posting (maybe both) in this forum?

I usually like to listen to something mid-tempo during daylight hours, usually with a cold drink.  A perfect example of this would be the albums Human, by Rag 'n' Bones, especially the song Be the Man, and Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

But at the moment (night time), I tend to listen to slow to mid-tempo stuff, i.e any albums by Barry White, Sade (pronounced Shaw-Day) and some songs by Fleetwood Mac, Paul Young, Savage Garden, etc.

Looking through my collection of 250+ albums, I just have too many to choose a representative sample of the stuff I like, simply because each record compliments the mood I am in at the time I'm playing it.

Saying all that, I just did a quick check and it seems that I bought between 2 - 4 albums per month this year, so far. But I do know I have gone crazy in past years and probably bought more than 6 albums in a given month.

Anyway, later peeps.

UK Bob

@ukbobboy Good question. I listen to mostly techno or 90s house. I just love a nice bassline. Some days though i'd stick on my 70s rock playlist. Or Gary Numan. Tbh i just stick my whole library on shuffle whicH mostly consists of techno. I think its a ratio of 500 techno tracks to 1000 other tracks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D

Plenty of football today on Sky Sports to keep me occupied today Smiley Happy

I'm dog sitting tomorrow so I guess it'll be 'walkies and poo duty' all day Smiley LOL Oh the exciting life I live Smiley LOL

At least I can stick on my 'phones when I'm out and listen to something good Smiley Happy