Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User

Hi Guys

You know, emotionally I agree with Robert, there is really nothing better than listening to a well pressed vinyl album on a good, not necessarily expensive, hi-fi system.

However, the rigmarole/ritual of caring for and handling vinyl records before playing them is just too much for the current generation to deal with, plus most of us who remember the heyday of hi-fi and vinyls are getting "too long in the tooth" to continue performing those rituals.

For example, right now I'm listening to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal, which took me a couple of button presses to listen to.  However, if I had the record and a hi-fi system it would take me 3 or 4 minutes of preparation before I could listen to the music.

So Robert, I know where your coming from because I was there too but Casey is of today and as such will always choose the mos modern way of consuming music.

UK Bob 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User

Hi Guys

You know, emotionally I agree with Robert, there is really nothing better than listening to a well pressed vinyl album on a good, not necessarily expensive, hi-fi system.

However, the rigmarole/ritual of caring for and handling vinyl records before playing them is just too much for the current generation to deal with, plus most of us who remember the heyday of hi-fi and vinyls are getting "too long in the tooth" to continue performing those rituals.

For example, right now I'm listening to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal, which took me a couple of button presses to listen to.  However, if I had the record and a hi-fi system it would take me 3 or 4 minutes of preparation before I could listen to the music.

So Robert, I know where your coming from because I was there too but Casey is of today and as such will always choose the mos modern way of consuming music.

UK Bob 

Yes, i agree. It's the Up Keep and maintenece that prevents me from using Vinyl. Although i have a nice Yamaha Amp and a set of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LFEMOM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (which are actually amazing for the price in all honesty) i just play music through my PC using Tidal or Spotify 🙂

If i had room for Vinyl i'd 100% use it just for the distinct crackle.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote: If i had room for Vinyl i'd 100% use it just for the distinct crackle.

Oh yeah!!!!! Smiley LOL

I remember spending many an evening with a 2p coin balanced on the needle arm cutting grooves that 'jumped'. Oh the memories Smiley LOL 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote: If i had room for Vinyl i'd 100% use it just for the distinct crackle.

Oh yeah!!!!! Smiley LOL

I remember spending many an evening with a 2p coin balanced on the needle arm cutting grooves that 'jumped'. Oh the memories Smiley LOL 

Haha, i love starting up a Vinyl just to hear it. It can't be recreated 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

Hi Again Guys

OK, Robert you must be joking about balancing a 2p coin on your tonearm, that for me is just sacrilege Smiley Frustrated.  For me, it had to be just "hi-fi", here is a jpg is my first hi-fi turntable, the Sansui SR212, paired with Ortofons VMS 20E cartridge proved to be an unbeatable combination.

Sansui SR212 Turntable.jpg

Nowadays, for me it's digital MP3s all the way, however I do miss vinyl but I don't think I have the constitution to go back to it.  

One more thing Robert, you said "The younger generation unfortunately need everything instantly and don't have the patience for the better/finer things in life. It's not about quality anymore".  You may be right but today youngsters have a lot more things happening for them, and more challenges, than we did back in the day.  

So I don't blame them.

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

Hi Again Guys

OK, Robert you must be joking about balancing a 2p coin on your tonearm, that for me is just sacrilege Smiley Frustrated.  For me, it had to be just "hi-fi", here is a jpg is my first hi-fi turntable, the Sansui SR212, paired with Ortofons VMS 20E cartridge proved to be an unbeatable combination.

Sansui SR212 Turntable.jpg

Nowadays, for me it's digital MP3s all the way, however I do miss vinyl but I don't think I have the constitution to go back to it.  

One more thing Robert, you said "The younger generation unfortunately need everything instantly and don't have the patience for the better/finer things in life. It's not about quality anymore".  You may be right but today youngsters have a lot more things happening for them, and more challenges, than we did back in the day.  

So I don't blame them.

UK Bob

There's a service called Tidal which is a streaming service for audiophiles. It lets customers stream Lossless Audio but at a premium price point. 20 quid a month. Crazt, but it is moreless direct non compressed audio from the studio so i can see the appeal. Not for me though, i don't have the finances to be spending that amount of money on top of my other subscriptions. P.S Nice system haha, i've never seen anything like that in real life to be honest. Born in the 90s so i might have missed all this. Any record player i've seen is Denon or Techniks lol

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @robert1997 @caseyb1993

Besides Guys

It would be difficult to put together a well balanced hi-fi system nowadays, too much time, and in a constant uphill battle, especially if your trying not to get ripped-off as well.

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

Besides Guys

It would be difficult to put together a well balanced hi-fi system nowadays, too much time, and in a constant uphill battle, especially if your trying not to get ripped-off as well.

UK Bob

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User 

Space is at a premium in my room. So an amp and speakers is the limit 😕 If i had a whole room to myself and an nice budget i'd have RGB lighting, 7.1 Surround, 4K Everything and led strips for lighting. Probably wouldn't leave the room either and become the worlds most comfiest hermit haha. But we can't have it all. @Anonymous User These days, data is gold dust and that's the way it will continue unfortunately.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

Besides Guys

UK Bob

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User 

Space is at a premium in my room. So an amp and speakers is the limit 😕 If i had a whole room to myself and an nice budget i'd have RGB lighting, 7.1 Surround, 4K Everything and led strips for lighting. Probably wouldn't leave the room either and become the worlds most comfiest hermit haha. But we can't have it all. @Anonymous User These days, data is gold dust and that's the way it will continue unfortunately.

My hi-fi system will be, if it survives, 30 years old next year. It's taken a lot of love and attention to keep it going so strong for so long.

These days, data is gold dust and that's the way it will continue unfortunately

One only has to look at the shenanigans surrounding Facebook of late to see how true that quote is @Tony-D

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

You know

It takes a particularly twisted person, or people, to come up with the idea to "weaponise" facebook data, but there you have it, the human race has now move into another dangerous era where unscrupulous people seek to use data to emphasize our differences and sow discontent.

And what's worse, it's sweeping across the world.

I hope I'm wrong.

UK Bob