Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

Yeah, you got me dead to rights, I am looking forward to testing out the new Spotify app, which I can't download/install on OS 8.1, plus a couple of other bits and pieces I'd like to try out.

But, I must admit, I'm not gonna pull my hair out waiting for the updates, I already did that when an episode of GoT was getting error 103.

Hair Pulling.jpg

No, I'll bide my time while old skoolin' some tunes.

UK Bob

PS. Just out of interest, my favourite Now TV viewing at the moment is 911, Ray Donovan, Futureman, American Horror and, not to mention, Archer.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Guys

I've fallen off the wagon and now chasing the dragon again, but this time it was an accident (honest).

Dragon.png

I was given a piece of audio kit and I just had to get some other bits and pieces to make it work.

Just goes to show, once an audio addict, always an.... (OK, no need to finish that saying).

Later, I guess.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

I'm still following your endeavours with interest. I haven't been active here of late, the old health has taken a bit of as battering, but thankfully things are looking up again Smiley Happy The up side to be unwell? Having more time to enjoy my 'sounds' and being left in peace to do just that Smiley Very Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

I see you got through my "ramblings" above, I think the constant tinkering around with my sound system keeps the old "brain cells" ticking over coz' I'm always thinking of new ways of "adding extras" to it, i.e. chasing the dragon (so to speak).

Another thing we both have in common, I am also not 100% healthy, I guess that at our age things just keep going wrong, nevertheless we have our music and that brings us joy.

On a lighter note, the extra bits I have ordered should arrive some time today and, once here, should take me about 10 to 20 minutes (max) to set up and get going with.  I will then find out if I have shaved a few more percentage points off my previous 95% satisfaction rating or just wasted my money.

Still, my extra bits and pieces are not "bank account busters" just straight forward sound enhancements (I hope). 

Anyway Rob, time for me to stop my current rambling and see if there are any other digital albums I want to add to my collection, I'll also let you know how I get on with my "additions".

Later.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

My extra peripherals and equipment arrived earlier than expected but was eagerly opened by me to see if I could connect everything up, as planned in my mind's eye.

First disappoint, the "3.5mm Male to 2 x 3.5mm Male Stereo Audio Adapter cable" I bought had it's 2 x 3.5mm connectors too close together.

Second problem, the 2 x 3.5mm connectors would easily dislodge/disconnect from the speaker aux ports they were plugged into.

Third (and most troublesome), once the cables were connected to my amp and speakers, and music fed through the amp, no music came out of my speakers.

However, once my whole audio kit was restored back to it's original condition, minus the extra cable and equipment, I had cool soothing music again.

I have definitely "lost the dragon" on this adventure but, come new year, I will revisit my debacle and come up with another strategy.

Later

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hey Tony

In one of your posts, in this thread, you mentioned that you loved your Bluetooth speakers. If so, I gotta a question to ask, do you use those speakers as stand alone devices or do you mix and match with other equipment?

All should become clear when I see your answer.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hey Robert

Hope you are feeling better, especially in the run up to Christmas + I hope you have expanded you music collection and soon to reap the benefits by upgrading your hi-fi in the new year.

After my recent failure, with my new upgrade kit, I worked out where I went wrong, instead of sticking with kit I knew I went off-script and went for something new, i.e. new cables of unknown quality, and was punished for my hubris.

OK, so I went back to basics and re-bought a an extension cable I had bought before and, today, connected it up and now the veil has been lifted. I've now got even more bass, more mid-range and more vocal clarity, I can now here the lead musician count in the other members of the group before the song starts.

In other words, I managed to connect a second small sub-woofer to my system, a system that was originally designed not to accept or work with any extras or peripherals

As you can imagine, I have to now "tune" my system so that I am at ear-joyment level 

Ear-Enjoyment..jpg

but you can guess that I am well "chuffed" with what I have done and achieved.

OK, I am now at 97% - 98% of where I want to be so no more dragon chasing for me.

After all, I'm a simple soul with simple needs and good music satisfies one of those needs.

Merry Christmas and Peace to one and all.

Merry Christmas Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboyet al

Thankfully the health has improved a little this past few weeks although having a stomach bug in that time hasn't helped. Anyhow, mustn't grumble, or so I'm told, Smiley Very Happy as I have Christmas with the family to look forward to.

What I'm also looking forward to is getting back on the upgrade trail in the new year and getting back on the hunt of some good music Smiley Happy

I've a few concerts to look forward to in 2019 with my daughter, the big one for me being Madness in the summer Smiley Happy

I've been following your exploits and am pleased to hear you have solved the issue brought about by your more recent purchase. I myself have dabbled with unknown entities in the past with mixed results. It is true though that it is best sticking with brands you know and trust.

Hopefully in the new year I'll be back regaling you with my own successes (and quite possibly failures) as I seek musical nirvana Smiley Happy

To everyone reading this thread may I take the time to wish you all an early Merry Christmas and an even better 2019. Here's hoping Christmas can be all you wish it to be this year Heart

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Guys

Hope you have all had a good Christmas and are looking forward to the new year.

As I'm grooving to one of my new albums, I just thought I'd check in with you guys and see how you are all doing, hope it's all great.

Father Christmas.png

Anyway, I'm always saying that I have to cut down on my monthly intake of digital albums. Well, I've managed to limit my consumption to only three albums this month, which is a nice little pat on the back for myself.  

Pat on the Back.gif

Still, on checking the release date of these albums, i.e. when the original vinyls were released, it comes in at 25, 30 and 41 years ago.

You know, I'm not sure if this says I'm too old to appreciate modern music or it's just that today's music just lacks that certain something that makes it enjoyable and want to listen to it more than once (or twice).

On that bit of controversy I shall now take my leave.

Later

UK (trying not to be controversial) Bob 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

Just to let you know, I found out something new the other day, a way to cast my audio CDs, via my external DVD/CD player, to my music system. 

I knew is was possible but I never took the time to look into it, until I bought an audio CD via Amazon UK (my fourth for December) that came with a free digital album download.  

To tell you the truth, I didn't much care for CDs but, I thought, since I like the music on this album so much that I'd give it a go.

So, a night of tinkering, including updating my go-to media playing software, getting advice from another forum and here I am, a few days later, digging into and playing my old collection of CDs.

Compact Disc.jpg

Funny that, I thought I was finished with CDs but now they're back.

Later.

UK Bob