Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Well Tony

I think you have misunderstood my post when you wrote, "Using extra bits to achieve an analogue recording sounds a bit backwards....".

You see, I realise that it's not possible to get "an analogue recording sounds" from a digital starting point, that's why I said "...I'm trying to achieve a "Vinyl Adjacent" sound...", i.e. near vinyl, not actual vinyl.

So you see young Padawan, Padawan.png

this old Jedi knows his stuff.

Jedi.png

UK (Jedi) Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

Well Tony

I think you have misunderstood my post when you wrote, "Using extra bits to achieve an analogue recording sounds a bit backwards....".

You see, I realise that it's not possible to get "an analogue recording sounds" from a digital starting point, that's why I said "...I'm trying to achieve a "Vinyl Adjacent" sound...", i.e. near vinyl, not actual vinyl.

So you see young Padawan, Padawan.png

this old Jedi knows his stuff.

Jedi.png

UK (Jedi) Bob

Haha @ukbobboy It was only a wee joke. Wish you the best of luck in finding your sound 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

Sorry young Padawan Tony

This old Jedi has had a "humour" bypass whereby the "funny bone" was totally removed.

Cheers

UK (Humourless Jedi) Bob

PS. Maybe I just don't speak "Young People"?.

Question Emoji.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Well Guys

I bought this light and summery album last night, which goes well with Barcadi and Cola.

Big Mountain - The Best of Big Mountain.jpg

The first track, "Baby, I Love Your Ways", was part of the soundtrack for the film "Reality Bites".

Peace Out

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

I GOT BOOTED OUT OF THE SYSTEM BEFORE I COULD FINISH EDITING MY POST, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT @Anonymous User?

Well Guys

I bought this light and summery album last night, which BTW goes well with Barcadi and Cola.

Big Mountain - The Best of Big Mountain.jpg

The first track, "Baby, I Love Your Ways", was part of the soundtrack for the film "Reality Bites".

Anyway, I felt I needed something a bit lighter that the usual stuff I buy and this fits the bill.

Believe it or not, I was listening to "Sade's Greatest Hits" on YouTube last night when I came across a track called "Baby Father", which I am sure was backed by Big Mountain, and especially featuring the lead singer. And although I could not find any corroborating evidence for my supposition, I decided to track down, check out and buy this digital album.

Peace Out

UK (Lighter Side) Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

This thread has been silent for some time, I'm guessing that we've all got other stuff going on. Still, it'll be good to do some catching up, like:-

Robert, how's your upgrade project coming along, is it still postponed or now abandoned?Hi-Fi.jpg

Casey & Tony, got any new tunes or new favourite artists/groups? It may be a bit daft me asking questions of young people, coz' whatever you answer I'm unlikely to have any knowledge of your answers but you never know.

And Schnapps, I know you've been busy helping out lots of stranded forum members, all I can say is "well done"

Thumbs Up03.png

because for me I find it depressing that so many people are finding themselves lost in their tech difficulties.

As for me, my music system has reached a satisfactory conclusion, no more upgrades (at least for now) and, as I write this,

Kickin' It Old School.jpg

I'm still kickin' it ol' skool.

Peace Out.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Pretty happy with my HiFi setup to be honest and haven't had an urge to upgrade since about 2009 when i bought my last set of speakers Smiley Happy

Really badly want an OLED TV, but the price point is currently out of my reach and i am not prepared to pay the market prices at the moment (Perhaps there will be some tempting deals on Black Friday where i keep looking on HotUK Deals website every week for the OLED bargain of the century).

Also fancy getting another subwoofer for the Home Cinema Room where my current subwoofer is not giving me the low tight fast bass that i am looking for, always wanted to try a SVS or a BK sub in my setup Smiley Happy

Talking about music, the Spotify App is returning to the Roku channels in the next few weeks Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Definitely not abandoned but on a lengthy period of postponement. Work and family commitments keeping me a little busier than usual. I can't see me getting anyhing else done this side of Christmas.

@schnapps

Good news (thank you) re Spotify and Roku Smiley Happy I've been Chromecasting it from my phone of late to get it to the goggle box and connected sound system.

Although I've hardly posted anything to these pages in quite a while now I'd like to echo the sentiments @ukbobboy posted re your sterling efforts helping others on these forum pages. You certainly were of great assistance to me when I first approached the idea of taking up NowTV.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@ukbobboy

Definitely not abandoned but on a lengthy period of postponement. Work and family commitments keeping me a little busier than usual. I can't see me getting anyhing else done this side of Christmas.

@schnapps

Good news (thank you) re Spotify and Roku Smiley Happy I've been Chromecasting it from my phone of late to get it to the goggle box and connected sound system.

Although I've hardly posted anything to these pages in quite a while now I'd like to echo the sentiments @ukbobboy posted re your sterling efforts helping others on these forum pages. You certainly were of great assistance to me when I first approached the idea of taking up NowTV.

Yeah @schnapps Is actually helping me out way more than i could have ever asked if im honest. Thanks @schnapps 🙂

Also @ukbobboy Not been listening to much rcently so can't comment regarding that. Glad to see you've revived the thread from the brinks of archives though 🙂 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

Nice to hear from all of you, I'm gonna post my replies in the order your posts were received, here we go:

1) Schnapps

Glad your you've got a music system/hi-fi that's lasted you 9 years, I don't know if I could last that long. As for me, I call my system a "music system", rather than hi-fi, because although it produces smooth and detailed music, and is about 95% of where I want it to be, chasing that extra 5% would be disproportionately expensive and I don't want to chase the dragon.

Saying that, I was looking at some SVS sub-woofers on YouTube and Amazon and all I can say is the price of those “puppies” is stratospheric.

2) Robert

I kinda guessed you were busy doing domestics and stuff, i.e. the life and sacrifices of a family man, I know coz' I've been there, especially when I had to give up hi-fi and enjoying music.

3) Tony

I'm sure you've heard the saying about “all work and no play.....”, plus as a young guy I'm sure you must take some time out to just “chill” (not sure chill is still used....but you know what I mean).

Well guys, I'm gonna be controversial here and say that I'm not a fan of Spotify, I've liked it and heard some music that's been completely new to me but that's only encouraged me to buy more digital albums. I guess that's because of two main things:

a) It reminds me of the time, way back when, I was a radio listener (bad ol' days when "choice" was scarce).

b) I just LOVE listening to albums, especially now when my favourites are only a few button presses away. 

As a matter coincidence, I've actually bought a chill out album for the first time, ever.

Here it is:Enigma - 1990 aD Album cover.jpg

Enigma's MCMXC a.D.

Just for fun (no cheating by looking it up) can anyone say what year the album's title refers to?

Nice album, love those chanting Georgian monks, but at just 40 minutes it could have done with another 10 minutes worth. 

Anyway, and until next time.

Peace Out

UK Bob